Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Causes Divorce

Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So. The wife finally talks me into going out for a steak dinner due to it being our anniversary. The egg was very upset but after a lengthy discussion and a big hug off to Outback Steakhouse we went.

Everything was going perfect Good conversation. Nice cold beer and zero kids My wife was falling back in love with me. then the meals come. as the waitress sets my Ribeye in front of me - she asks "Steak Sauce - Heinz 57 or A 1. I politely respond "no thanks I'm good ". Then my wife looks from cutting up her steak and notices me pulling out my DIZZY PIG "Dizzys Red Eye Express" from my coat pocket

"HOW EMBARRISING You Cant bring that in here - We re in a restaurant" Delicious dinner but very upset wife. Please Advise! 3 kids at home.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Sue for custody of the egg.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    This is a tough one! We have not gone out for dinner since I got my Egg in December, our anniversary is on Friday. What to do!?
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Go out and enjoy the time with your wife. ;)
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Personally I like my rubs cooked onto the meat vs sprinkled on after cooking.

Just about the best steak I've ever had was cooked naked and had salt sprinkled on after cooking and slicing. Nothing but salt. If you don't like a seasoning a restaurant uses I'd recommend going that route, maybe ask if they have some sea salt vs the table salt in the shaker at the table.
  • That's just funny and sounds like something I would do...good for you!

Flipping that around, I was in Kansas City for a conference once and I went to one of the big name BBQ joints with my friends for dinner. I wasn't overly impressed but I liked one of the bottle of rubs/seasonings that they offered (it was white in color I believe)so when the lady sitting next to me got up I slipped a bottle of it in her coat pocket knowing I was going to have to fess up before we got on the bus. The look on her face was priceless as she was standing in front of the hostess stand putting on her coat and found the bottle of rub! Of course I commented something about, "hey, you have to pay for that stuff" or something like that.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Is that why you are in 5K training? :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Although ya know, I take my low-carb tortillas with me when I go Mexican so I can get fajitas to my heart's content and no one has ever said peep. They even warm them up for me. So why anyone would care about a rub, I dunno. Tell her it's cool. If that waitress suddenly becomes the one to sign your paychecks, her opinion might matter a little more. My litmus test of concern.

mShark
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Next time you will need to call ahead to the kitchen and have them rub it in before the cook. That way she won't know!! Oh and you might want to have them bring a cake to the table for the both of you!! :whistle:
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    What is this place that you speak of where you sit down and people bring the food to you?

My 3 kids prevent us from visiting any kind of establishment like that! :P
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    If a steak place thinks thier steaks are so bad they offer you a sauce like A1 H57 etc.... then you have every right to bring your own rub!!! I can see me in the same situation, I would just tell the wife you were sorry for upsetting her, but it is Outbacks fault for not having a well seasoned steak in the first place! ;)
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    I recently had the rib eye wood smoke grilled and it was delicious as it arrived!!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks, great way to start the day out.

Even though the wife is chasing you with the roller pin, know you did the right thing. How was the couch?

GG
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I have a lot of food allergies, so I've been known to bring my own seasoning for safety's sake. Find a smaller, generic shaker bottle, and fill it with your favorite DP. Then when the time comes, ask for your steak nekkid, or with salt only, and season it at the table, when it arrives.

My other half would rather deal with a little awkwardness at the table, than an ambulance crew.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    That is too funny. No way in @## I'd do that though. I'd feel ashamed. My wife would divorce me and I can't say I'd blame her. On the other hand that is a story that could go on DP's website. :laugh:

Hardcore man. Hardcore.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    That is classic, thanks for the laugh. I would suggest you only go out to eat a chinese places :laugh:
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i take pocket sized pepper mill with me any time i go out to eat..... it's like pulling teeth for the waitress' to get ya the pepper mill.......!!!!!! plus i use the kinda of pepper that i like..... no wonder i rarely go out to eat an entree'..... i can make much better food at home for way less..... ! rr..... i don't blame you.... perhaps you need a girlfriend who thinks like you? ....lol rr
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Wha, you didn't share?!?! No wonder she's mad at you! :P

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure