Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory Nuts for Smoking

Options
ddmax
ddmax Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a bunch of fresh whole hickory nuts this past week. I was wondering if anyone had any success and/or suggestions about using these for smoking?

A friend of mine told me if I dry them out, they are great for smoking.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Just about anything can be used for smoking but not all of them are good. Try and see, is the general rule. If you like the results you can share with us. If you don't like the results you can share with us.

Personally, I think I would stick with some of the really good smoking woods. No bad surprises.

But heres's a site that may help.

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/nut-shells-using-hickory-nut-husks-for-smoking.html

Spring "Smoke 'em If You've Got 'em" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't even need to dry them out.

give them a shot. few folks over the years here have smoked with hardwood tree nuts
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Squirtle
    Squirtle Posts: 15
    Options
    Where I first started smoking, there were some hickory trees. I used the shells for smoke. It was excellent. The squirrels got the nuts, I got the shells. If I remember right, they were kinda like long-burning wood chips.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    use the nut shells..... not the green husk......
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    My brother was in Missouri and a guy told him that the bark of the Shagbark Hickory produces 2x's the normal smoke as the wood. Haven't tried it yet. Good luck.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I don't know about 2X but there are several of us who use the bark....great smoking....

Haven't tried to make the syrup yet...all recipes I find seem to be a little incomplete so I need to find some time to experiment, and refill my stash....
  • stike
    Options
    it's much sweeter than the hickory itself. sweeter than maple.
    i use it all the time, been preaching it for years.

warnings re: bark being bitter are unfounded
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Yes...forgot to give you credit for turning me onto it......

Careful though, My wife thinks I'm crazy now every time we go for a walk somewhere, I'm trying to find a shagbark tree...acres of woods around my house and none...at least that I've found...wonder if the people down the street would call the cops if I peeled some off...

Luckily good friends in CT have it all around their house...just need to get down there when there isn't 5 feet of snow in the woods.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Chris, care to share recipes for the syrup, as we have several large trees on our property and it interests me.
    Haven't found any recipes on how to make it. Thanks in advance.
  • stike
    Options
    I dont deserve any credit. Someone here was mentioning the hickory syrup before, too. Pretty interesting