Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Singed eye brows :)

Options
T-47
T-47 Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well my neighbor is cooking his chickens at a nice 275, and he came over to watch me put my steaks on. It did not take long before the thermometer was pegged. He made the mistake of taking a peak down the open top, and poof...gray eyebrows for him! Man this baby heats up fast. Brings me to the question, why does the thermometer only go to 750?
Steaks are looking great, just waiting for the temp to come down to finish them off, I am going to like this!

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    T-47,
    The thermo may only go to 750, but the temps go much higher. If you haven't noticed yet (and you will eventually), the needle will go way past the 750 mark when all vents are left wide open! I couldn't even guess how hot I have had my medium.[p]Sounds like you are having a ball with your new toy![p]Banker John

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    Banker John,
    Yep, I am sure I was well over as well; I was just wondering why Green Egg does not put a higher reading thermometer on the egg?
    The Steaks came out great, I followed Trex’s directions for Tenderloin Strip Steak and the only problem I found was trying to get it cooled down. I had to shut the door and exhaust to get it to cool down to 400 and it still took over 20 minutes?
    Yep, I am going to love this cooker. I have searched and cant seem to figure out how you all post photos? Is there a FAQ spot to look at for that?[p]

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    T-47,[p]Go to The "Naked Whiz's profile page, and follow the link to his Website.[p]There... you will find detailed instructions!![p]Looking forward to your pics!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • The thermometer that came with my egg seems to be on the cheap side. I replaced it with one out of a large gas boiler that reads over 1000 degrees F, and believe me it has reached at least 1200 DF. I'm sure that it could get even hotter but it might affect the integrity of the ceramics?