Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at baking....

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been told to not only post the good stuff, but also the stuff that got screwed up. Here is a perfect example :(
Been wanting to try the pineapple upside down cake that has been tossed around here recently. I followed the recipe to a T.
Everything started out right
102_5059.jpg

102_5060.jpg

102_5061.jpg
Egg held perfect temp through the whole cook. Took about 50 minutes to achieve this burned up mess

102_5063.jpg

102_5064.jpg
The cake tastes great once you cut off the burned up sugar. Any suggestions from anyone that has successfully done one of these on the egg would be appreciated :S

Comments

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    As long as the cake wasn't going to a party most of it still looks pretty tasty. I haven't tried this cake yet but will be watching for advice from others for my notes.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    It doesn't look like your setup is indirect! If not, you need a barrier between the fire and your CI Dutch oven. I use plate setter (legs down) ceramic feet (or other spacer),then the pizza stone......
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    It doesn't look like your setup is indirect! If not, you need a barrier between the fire and your CI Dutch oven. I use plate setter (legs down) ceramic feet (or other spacer),then the pizza stone......
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    i do mine in a cast iron frying pan...always do indirect at around 350.........i see your pineapples are on the top..... mine are on the bottom and flip after finishing.... maybe i am not seeing that right..

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• wkygriller
    Crap...I just re read the directions. It called for indirect. I went direct :blush: . The recipe called for a 10" skillet, I only had an 8", 9" and 14" that is why I used the 10" DO. The pineapples were on the bottom. That pic was taken before adding the batter. I will give it another try next week while the wife is out of town and this time use the plate setter and pizza stone. All is not lost though. Going to save what I can of the butter pecan cake and top with pineapple and fresh whipped cream.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    wkygriller: Looks like you tried to bake using a direct method. It needs to be done indirect. Next time I would suggest the plate setter legs up, then the grid, then pizza stone....OR platesetter legs down, green feet, and DO on top of green feet.
    Sorry to see all that work, and have it go wrong in the end. Just call it "What happens when you forget the 'In' in an 'InDirect' cook!" :laugh: You'll get it next time. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Looks like you were good to go right up to the point of the set up. like everyone has said indirect it makes a huge difference LOL good job though and thanks for sharing LOL
  • wkygriller
    I haven't given up hope on the cake yet. Should post pics shortly of the cake with a nice sauce that might include some Woodford Reserve. Wish me luck
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Been there, done that! :( :blush: :ermm: :huh:
  • wkygriller
    Salvaged the pineapple cake in a great way. Got it cold, topped with a sauce made with pecans, Woodford reserve, honey, pineapple, brown sugar, butter and orange zest. Fresh whipped cream and served with Breyer's vanilla ice cream. We were very happy with the outcome!!!!

102_5067.jpg
    Even though this was fantastic, next time I will cook it correctly and enjoy pineapple upside down cake.
  • Little Chef
    There you go!!! Nice save! B) Sounds delicious! And no worries, we've all done something like this at some point!! (And for those that say they haven't, don't believe them... :laugh: ) You'll get it next time!
  • wkygriller
    Thanks LC, Its amazing how something "fool proof" can go wrong by missing 2 letters IN as in "indirect not direct" :pinch:. Now all I have to figure out is how to clean the pan. Any suggestions?
  • the cleanup is the worst part :unsure:
    had some very browned sides on scalloped potatoes last week -- EWWW
  • bet that tasted real good ;)
    great save :)
  • Little Chef
    Hopefully it's just burnt sugar??? Should dissolve if you add water and put it on a burner to simmer for a while. Don't want to suggest too much more for fear of totally screwing up your seasoning. Lots of CI folks here. No worries, it is not lost.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    What is the "best" recipe for this. I may try it this afternoon if I have the ingredients on hand. Anyone have a link or can point me in the direction so I can find it?

Thanks.
  • wkygriller
    This is the one I used. I think it came from Loco_engineer.
    Cast Iron Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
    1 1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup pecans, chopped
    1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored,eyes removed, and sliced
    1 pkg butter recipe cake mix
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2/3 cup water
    3 whole eggs

Directions:

Melt 1/2 c. butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet (a deep one is best). Add brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add chopped pecans to mixture just before taking off fire.

Set skillet off heat and then add prepared pineapple. Slice pineapple into rings. (I chop a couple rings into pieces for added pineapple between the slices in bottom of skillet.) Arrange pineapple on top of brown sugar mixture. Maraschino cherries may be placed around at this time.

Prepare cake mix as directed on box. If there is juice from pineapple, that can be used instead of the water to make the 2/3 c. of liquid. Add remaining butter, eggs, and liquid to cake mix stir until thoroughly beaten. Pour on top of pineapple mixture.

Place in green egg indirect at 350 degrees. No lid on skillet. Check every 20 minutes and rotate to ensure even cooking.
    Bake time is about 1 hour but check with wooden toothpick for doneness. Let cake cool for at least 10 minutes. Run knife around cake to loosen from sides of skillet. Invert onto serving plate

I used a butter pecan cake mix. DO NOT COOK DIRECT!!!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Cheers Richard. Indirect it will be!
  • wkygriller
    Can't wait to see what a properly cooked one looks like :huh: