Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone ever have an ashback?

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I was using my wiggle rod and I had an ashback. Ash blew out of the bottom vent into my beautiful fact. It sucked dong. Anyone else ever suffered this egg injustice?

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    no.... i can not imagine how it wold happen! need more details.... rr
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    It blew out your ash hole? :huh:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    I've seen it once. I just added fresh lump on top of a smaller pile of hot lump. The fire was smoldering so I opened the dome to try to get it going again. I guess I left it open just long enough to stoke the fire then closed it. The build up of unburned products of combustion ignited in the closed egg and the force came out the "ash hole" :laugh: as hornhonk called it. It was so strong it blew leaves off the porch...very scary :huh:
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Or, as Rain Man Said, "Uh-Oh!! _art!!"
  • No but the budweisers from last night did this morning!
  • Ok I am sober(ish) now so I can tell you what happened.

Yesterday I cleaned out the large. Put new lump in. Big pieces on the fire grate, then emptied part of a bag in there. Put in some old lump and then realized I had some left in another open bag so I added that to the top. Definitely a lot of smaller pieces in there and more "dust" than I like.

I lit it, got it going, stirred her up. Had the bottom vent all of the way open and the daisy 3/4 open with the slots fully open. It would not go over 300*.

I got my Lawn Ranger wiggle rod out (you see all of this is his fault) and started poking around down there. Went up a little bit. Still lagging. I wiggle her around again. Let me paint the picture.

In the picture where the beer is are my stairs. I sit on my stairs and wiggle my way into the fire grate from the bottom vent. Well sometimes I get close so I can see what is coming down. Now don't get me wrong, my face is not in the vent but maybe a foot or so away close.
    I am sitting there, leaning in, wiggling my rod in that hot box and all of a sudden I hear a WHHHHHOOOOOSSSSHHHH and I know that I cannot see. I am thinking I got fire on my face, my beautiful beard is gone, my modeling career is over. Then I hear my friend laughing his ass off, so I figure I am ok. I shout "Get me water", again thinking my face is on fire. No one moves to get water. I must be ok. Apparently it was all ash.

My shirt has ash all over it. My face, my sunglasses, hat, all covered in ash. It looks like I just went down on a volcano (excuse my frankness). But I am alive and so is my beard. The only discomfort was it felt like I was in a sandstorm. Dry eyes and a dirty shirt mean I got off lucky!

Anyone else ever have an "ashback". I know flames have shot out of the bottom vent for some people, but anyone else ever get an ashface?

Oh and to top it off, I went to open the dome after, I burped it a few times - STILL got a minor flashback. My friend said the eggs were revolting. I hope this is not true, the eggs outnumber us 3 to 2 (3 to 3 if you count my dog).

2010-08-06182452.jpg
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Firetruck: I had the same thing happen to me when I was adding lump to my Medium. Scared me pretty good.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I thought you couldn't post stuff like that here...family forum and all? O wait ASHback...nevermind ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Bingo, Steven. Ya gotta take it in the proper context. Otherwise, somebody will claim foul!!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Wait, there were witnesses? And nobody got a picture?! That would make the best forum avatar ever. For me, I mean. Timmy's ashface. DirtyBurger's dirty mug. I think this calls for a TNW "Flashback" remake. Ashback, starring el Dirty.

Oh, and dude, you should not assume that your friends standing around laughing means that your face is not on fire. I've met you.

And no, your eggs aren't revolting. Your FOOD is revolting, but your eggs are fine.