Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How would you all feel if

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
this place would go away.
To me, this is home. I can open the door and feel welcomed. My friends are here to greet me. I can open the door when strangers knock and help them, then we become friends. This home has a revolving door of common passions on a bunch of levels. This home I would dearly miss if gone. I share this with people that have no idea what a Big Geen Egg is. Through sharing food, verbally speaking of it or with the pictures I take.
I have grown being in this home. You all have taught me so much. I appreciate you all.
Cooking, picture taking, dry aging, curing, brines.....things I have not even imagined doing.
I could go on and on.....you all get it...pretty sure.

We need this place in so many ways.
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Hope not, best advertising the BGE can ever get. Looked in my recipe data base and I have about 750 BGE Forum related recipe links.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Well said Molly, I feel the same way :):)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    sadly I think we will not have much choice in what is going to happen. but we need to think positive and look ahead. as they say when one door closes another one opens.. we survived the change last time and hopefully it will still be one big happy family. That in no way mean I am at all happy with things we are hearing. but if we have no choice in the matter... I think my largest surprise is that no one has addressed this at all... when I made a similar post last week nothing...
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1102191&catid=1#
    just more hearsay and whispers and rumors.. those do more damage then just saying "look this is what is going on..........." and no I know it is not considered any of our business... so maybe we are wrong to all have thought of this as 'home" or the neighborhood....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm with you, Molly! This forum is home, apple pie, Mother or Father, sister and brother to me too. Before someone in Tuckerville tells me to get a life let me say I have one and in involves the BGE! We have done more word of mouth selling, showing and sharing to promote this product than any highly paid advertising firm could ever do - and for zippo cost to BGE!

Trying to pull the plug on this forum would be a stupid move to be blunt. I hope that Ed Fisher wakes up to what is going down around him before it's too late.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Iknow how you feel Molly and I have ony been here a little over a year.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • cookn biker
    I hear you Julie. I thought someone should say something, since 'THEY' are not. I just feel like the Corp. is screwing with my (ours) personnal life now.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Ed is not at the helm anymore Ron. Hence the changes. :(
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Bottom line is..."It's their ball" if they want to take it and leave..it's game over...forcing the forum to react wont make any difference..
  • cookn biker
    True.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    So true Wess... I was told that the recipes will migrate so we do not have to panic on that point. and that some of the changes are ones people have asked for in the past.. so we will see... like you said not much we can do about it. we can support it or not.. I understand there might be some choices... and that is always good :)
  • RRP
    I know he isn't day to day, but I thought he still held the upper hand. Maybe Ed is giving the new guy enough rope so as to hang himself!
  • RRP
    But if this forum is the property of the Miller family blah blah blah then without the sell out of the Millers it won't happen. OTOH Miller's silence is rather deafening isn't it?
  • WessB
    There are so many rumors flying around...and we all know how stories get manipulated the more they get repeated.....we're all just like a ship in a storm...just along for the ride...we'll see what's left once the storm is over....
  • WessB
    Or perhaps BGE will want some monetary compensation for use of their copyrighted logo and name....with all due respect you are looking at this from the wrong perspective..
  • :(
    It would feel like loosing Car Wash Mike every day.
  • WessB
    That was a bit extreme...comparing a friend and fellow egger who lost his life to any changes that may or may not come to this forum is in no way realistic...we all have other means of communication....Mike doesn't..
  • WessB
    Well than I'm sorry I said anything at all..
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    believe it or not, i'd feel like "it was fun while it lasted".

in 1998 or so, the NYTimes had a great forum, with a lot of discussions on a wide ranging subjects. it's actually where i 'met' the dude ("SkwerlX") who convinced me to get a BGE. he was hilarious. a genius. Fidel's twin, actually. He no longer posts here. but i digress :laugh:

That place closed down one day, with about a week's notice. Another member started a forum, and literally everyone that was a regular signed up at the new place and resumed posting. and in little more than a month,the new venue fizzled and tapered off.

it had no 'magic'.

if it come to pass that this place has the plug pulled, i would look back on it just as fondly as that other place, with the resignation that it's true. all good things come to an end.

of course, if there were a new place, i'd hope it was as active, but it really would be like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. twice.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    what do the millers owe us?
    c,mon.

the bandwidth and expenses here are probably more than they can afford. all it takes is a lack of funding and the place goes away. they don't have to be evil and against us for it to happen.
  • stike
    exactly.

people see conspiracy usually when there is none.
    the millers have been great to host us, but it isn't free, and they may frankly be tired of it as well as getting what you implied, blowback from corporate.

BGE could make the place go away any number of ways. and none of them require the miller family to be on the 'bad' side.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    of course, if there were a new place, i'd hope it was as active, but it really would be like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. twice.

Thats exactly the path my line of thinking was going but didn't know how to say it. Guess I should have stayed in school :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Edit: 'nuff said.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Gary,

The only thing I rise above is the poolgirl :laugh: Thanks anyway :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've only been here a short time but had gotten quite comfortable, and you guys and gals have been extremely helpful; thank you!
    I've been on two forums where everyone became quite tight, and then the plug was pulled; both groups survived and I've flown several times to LA to meet one group, and will be flying to Phillie in a few weeks to meet another (the "Sound & Vision" group of Home Theater geeks, who now reside at The Audio Annex).

Its been said that electronic communication is a bane to human interaction and making us all more isolated, but for those of us who are funny-looking, have an obnoxious voice, can't speak well, or are just plain goofy, the 'net is a bit of a godsend (especially that backspace key :lol: ). I hope this place continues, but if not, we'll probably find somewhere else to chat... :unsure:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I have no doubt if this went away, another would pop up in no time.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    If we get shut down, it would not be hard to setup a new forum, in fact some will even import the old posts into the new one.

Squarespace is $32/month for unlimited storage and bandwidth. That could be handled through donations or advertising.

I am a Network Engineer and would be more than happy to assist in getting something new setup. If all the accounts could be moved, and all of the posts as well there is no reason the new site wouldn't be as active. We coupld probably even keep the same domain name if they let us have it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    I'm a newbie and have learned alot from everyone here so far. It would be the worste thing if this blog went away!! :angry:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Heh. The first rule of the forum clique is you don't talk about the forum clique.