Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For new EggHeads,

Silverlake
Silverlake Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I rarely write to these types of forums but I am delighted to have the opportunity to tell you about my recent experience with the Egg.

About three years ago, I bought this 6-burner stainless steel barbeque. It replaced an old monstrosity that we had for close to 15 years and I was very pleased with the new purchase.

Yet in the past 2 years, I have been reading many articles on the Big Green Egg and what it can do. I can tell you that my wife was not enamoured with the idea of getting yet another barbeque, given that we just bought a new one.

As a result, my “egging” interests were put on the back burner for awhile, pardon the pun.

This year however we took the plunge and I can you with great satisfaction that so far we have made the most amazing pizza, rib roast and chicken. I can also tell you that our experience to date has been that everything that they say about the Egg is true. The food is moist; the Egg is easy to work with and most relevantly gives a wonderful unique flavour unlike any gas barbeque. Its more than a BBQ..as you will come to learn

While I’m sure that everyone has their favourite recipes in addition to their favourite barbeque, I would like to take this opportunity to highly recommend the Big Green Egg.

I also want to acknowledge Phil Raponi and his team at Dickson BBQ Centre. Trying to be a careful consumer, I did a fair amount of shopping prior to coming to Dickson. Well known and well reputed barbeque facilities tried to sell me all types of things including various types of egg knock-offs which I ask you to be cautious of. I called the Green Egg people in Markham, Ontario and asked them to tell me what the difference is between their product and those knock-offs which “appear” to be the same. I then went back to those knock-off sellers and “put it to them”. I suggest you do the same and see what they say and then make up your own mind.

If you’re considering buying one of these babies, I would strongly recommend that you make contact with Phil or members of his team at Dickson BBQ Centre. He is an avid “egger”. He speaks about the versatile of this BBQ/Smoker with passion and intensity and frankly unbeknownst to him, it was because of his enthusiasm that my wife hesitantly agreed to the purchase. She now realizes that it is not just “another BBQ”.

Dickson’s service is second to none. They have an incredible selection of “eggcessories”. They do what they say they are going to do. It also gets done when they say it will be done. Now that is service. Most relevantly however is that they have been ongoingly available to answer questions and make suggestions.

In some respects, Dickson BBQ Centre has become a hub of expertise and knowledge for me when it comes to The Big Green Egg. I highly recommend contacting them before you make a final decision. I am reasonably confident that if you do, you will be as impressed with their knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise and with the Big Green Egg.

Silver Lake, Ontario
June 2011

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Very well stated. I wish I knew about the BGE 12 years ago before we decided on a gas grill.
    This is why I REALLY enjoy wearing Hungryman's T-Shirt:

FriendsDontletT-Shirt.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Wait until your wife sees you come home with a second or third Egg.
    388493824.jpg
    382074940.jpg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Boxerpapa,

Or eighth :unsure:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Boxerpapa
    Eight??? I was sleeping on the couch after the second, in the shed after the third, back to the couch after I sold the Mini. Couldn't imagine where I would be at eight :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Pretty funny.

I am guessing Steven has more than one location. I remember when he posted pictures of some of his eggs still being in a box - that doesn't count Steve. However, mainegg is pushing the upper end but again I think two locations.

Until yesterday, 4 eggs, 2 people, down to three now - the medium went to a new egghead.

GG
  • Boxerpapa
    Perhaps I should buy another place?...This eggin' stuff can be expensive :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I guess that will depend on how many more eggs you are going to buy. :laugh:

• benny
    benny Posts: 109
    baby egg scares me. is his name humpty dumpty? cause he looks ready to take a fall from that nest.........
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I'm with you! I bought a gas grill and she thought I was pretty good cooking on it....UNTIL...I decided I wanted a BGE. I got the normal what is that expensive thing going to do different then your gas grill? Well the Grill Depot was very helpful and I brought my egg home. So far I have only been able to do two cooks. Bone-in Ribeyes, they were better then the restaurants here in town. And last weekend was baby-back ribs. Yes, Grandpas Grubs they knocked more then her socks off...LOL. After she had those I asked, so do you think the egg was worth the money? I got a very quick YES, What are you planning to cook on your next days off? I came home tonight and the gas grill has been pushed off the patio and I have been asked when I was getting rid of that thing? So the BGE is a hit and is everything I have read about. I'm having fun learning new things to cook and lovin me some BGE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I'm with you! I bought a gas grill and she thought I was pretty good cooking on it....UNTIL...I decided I wanted a BGE. I got the normal what is that expensive thing going to do different then your gas grill? Well the Grill Depot was very helpful and I brought my egg home. So far I have only been able to do two cooks. Bone-in Ribeyes, they were better then the restaurants here in town. And last weekend was baby-back ribs. Yes, Grandpas Grubs they knocked more then her socks off...LOL. After she had those I asked, so do you think the egg was worth the money? I got a very quick YES, What are you planning to cook on your next days off? I came home tonight and the gas grill has been pushed off the patio and I have been asked when I was getting rid of that thing? So the BGE is a hit and is everything I have read about. I'm having fun learning new things to cook and lovin me some BGE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!