Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin -- soaking up some fresh basil....

Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having some guests over for dinner tonight, so I spent an hour or so trying to fiugre out what to cook. Ultimately, I settled on the Rosemary & Garlic Stuffed Pork loin. Well, I didn't have any rosemary growing in the herb garded, but the basil looked great, so I chopped some up along with garlic, salt, pepper and mixed it with olive oil. I cut up the loin as GFW described and layered in the mix. It's resting in the refrigerator now and should be ready for the EGG by tonight.[p]Should I put any sort of rub on the outside of the loin before it hits the egg?[p]Thanks, and I'll keep you posted on the results.[p]B~F

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Bama Fire,[p]I've done it both ways, both rubbed and bare, and don't really have a preference. If the herb stuffing is tasty enough to stand on its own, leave it bare. Get ready for a real treat, those jelly rolled pork loins are awesome. The flavor really gets through the meat well. Are you planning on cooking direct or indirect?[p]Troy
  • Bama Fire
    sprinter,
    To be honest, I hadn't gotten that far yet. This it the first pork loin I've attempted, and for company no less. I've cooked several pork tenderloins direct -- all have be delicious.[p]What do you recommend? Will the cooking time differ significantly from direct to indirect? i would assume that indirect would take longer.[p]B~F

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Bama Fire,[p]I prefer mine cooked direct but I like a crust or bark on my pork also. When I cook them indirect the outside always seems a bit of a disappointment to me. When I jelly roll them I always tie the loin together also as it has a tendency to unroll when you cook it. If you've cooked tenderloins just think of this as a really big tenderloin.[p]I wish I were better at remembering times and temps, I generally go by temp and keep an eye on it. I cook mine direct at about 300-325 and if memory serves me correctly it will take about an hour or a bit more for a loin direct, indirect will take about 20-30 minutes longer, again if memory serves me correctly. I consider a loin half of the whole if that makes sense. The loins I've always bought are "folded" in half and packed and when I unpack them I usually just cut them at the fold and make two loins out of it.[p]Hope this helps, its tough to really screw one up, just be conscious not to over cook it and you'll be fine. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Bama Fire
    sprinter,
    At one time I was nervous abut trying new recipes on the EGG for guests -- no longer. The margin of error is so huge with EGG I feel quite confident that I can produce something edible -- and likely pretty good.[p]B~F

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bama Fire, I use the same thing on the outside as I put on the inside - Good luck!

• Bama Fire
    Gfw,
    I went home for lunch -- WOW, the garilc really is smelling great! I hope our guests like garlic. Sucks to be them if they don't![p]I can't wait to get the egg fired up tonight.[p]B~F[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Bama Fire, the last line of the page reads "RESULTS... if you like garlic (and I do) you'll love this recipe."[p]I won't be as strong after it is cooked, but I'll bet you like the results! Good luck - if your guests don't like it, invite me over!

[ul][li]Rosemary Grilled Pork Loin [/ul]
  • Bama Fire
    Gfw,
    I bought a nice 10 pound loin at Sam's and cut it into three pieces. I'm cooking one this afternoon and I look forward to experimenting with the other two pieces. Mr. Toad's recipe sounds great. I think I may try a shrimp and crayfish stuffing too.[p]B~F