Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much coals to get heat to 675

HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
first time grilling steak (ribeye) have firebox 90% full I always load up to firering to just below platesetter when I smoke BBQ - I understand 650 + is what to do for steaks - I can't get the heat over 450

thanks much

Comments

• maybe some vent holes or grate holes are plugged?????
    stir with long handled spoon and see what happens ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Doug, For 650F dome try no daisy wheel and bottom screen closed and bottom draft door around 2 to 3 inches open. Do you have a wiggle rod?
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Yep - not a function of coals as much as it is oxygen. Open her up and be patient....
  • HarleyDoug
    thanks everyone - I had the bottom vent & top wide open did clean the ashes but didn't check for plugged vent hole I'll check out vent holes tomorrow after coals are cool
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

buy or make a wiggle rod and clear out the holes in the fire grate. you will lbe well above 700°.

Remember heat = fuel and oxygen. If you have fuel and no heat figure out why there is no oxygen going up through the lump bed.

Load the lump to the top of the fire box or even up close to the top of the fire ring. Somewhat level the lump and then move some pieces in 3 or 4 places around the egg. Light the lump down about 1 to 2 inches below the surface. When those spots are burning cover them up a little with the lump you pushed out of the way to make the hole. Don't smother out the light spots.

If the heat stalls use a wiggle rob (buy or make) to clear out the holes in the fire grate. As soon as the lump bed gets a good draw of oxygen the temperature will soar.

You don't need a lot of lump to get high dome temperatures. This burn is all small pieces of lump from previous cooks. The largest size is about the size of a man's thumb to the first knuckle and smaller pieces.

The lump is loaded just above the holes in the fire box and was lit in three places down into the lump bed.

smalllumptst1.jpg

The flame up is due to having the dome open while taking pictures.
    smalllumptst4.jpg

smalllumptst3.jpg

You can see the smallest pieces of burning lump falling down through the fire grate.
    smalllumptst2.jpg

GG
  • HarleyDoug
    Thanks much, I think it's maybe the way I'm lighting the lump - I've been taking one of the lighter squares and putting it in the middle need to start spreading the lighted lump around
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

For the most part, it's all air flow...

Using 1 starter cube in the middle will take a long time to get to a high temperature. If going high temperature an you are using cubes, use 2 or 3 cubes, break them in half. Hold them in tongs and light the cube on all sides. Place the half cube down a little into the lump. Follow the same for each half and place around the lump. Light at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock about 2 inches in from the fire ring or fire box and center of the lump. For lower temperature cooks light in 3 places 3, 6, 9 and center.

The benefit is you get a faster light, higher temperature and use less lump getting the egg up to cooking temperature.

GG