Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - What's the trick to successful cooking?

Options
Aussie_Hugh
Aussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]The other day I thought it was time to 'take the wraps off the egg' for autumn and cook up a couple of bought pizzas. Well I took my 'eye off the ball' and ended up with nice top but black charred base. In the garbage bin it went.[p]I am not going to be deterred but I thought I'd ask the 'eggsperts' what works best as far as set up goes. Now the important thing to remember is that I do not have access to some of the gear that I read about: Thus I do not have (and cannot get):
- plate stacker, sitter, whatever
- BGE pizza stone
- pizza screen[p]What I do have is:
- 2 fire bricks (plus one cut in half length ways)
- couple of grids
- aluminium pizza trays
- thin 13" pizza stone[p]What I am thinking of is getting another stone to increase the thickness.[p]So any suggestions on set up & temp would be appreciated. Ideally I'd like to cook more than one at a time.[p]BTW once (if????) I have a bit of success with bought pizzas I am going to try home made dough. Years ago I used to work in Pizza Hut. I do not have a bread maker but read with interest that some eggers use the to make dough. But hopefully it is not too hard to do by hand????[p]Cheers from down under,
Hugh.

Comments

• J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,[p]I think that you should be able to use just your single stone. I would definitely put the stone on a raised grid, this will help reduce stone heat, and get you in the hotter part of the upper dome. I usually do think pizzas and this works just fine around 450 degrees. I wouldn't go much hotter, and if you do a pile of toppings, you will have to go lower in temp still. You are trying to find balance between done on top and bottom. you may even try a drip pan, or some kind of heat deflection on the bottom grid under the raised grid with the stone.[p]Good luck![p]Justin
  • cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,[p]I'm about as far from an expert as can be, but I like to use pizza screens. They cost about $2 each at the local restaurant supply store. They help not burn the crust. Plus they make it easy to get the pizza on and off the peel. No cornmeal neeeded. I usually do the cook and then take them off the screen and put them directly on the stone for a few seconds. Helps get the thin and crispy crust that I (and more importantly, my wife) like.
  • Grate Grills
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    I cook pizza at around 400 deg. on raised pizza stone. You might try a second pizza stone or/and do not pre heat your stone completly. I have found that 4 min. pre heat at 400 gives me a crust that is done at the same time as the toppings.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    pretzel1.jpg
    <p />Aussie_Hugh,
    After you get the pizza thing down. Try some pretzels. After cooking I mist spray with very little water and dab in kosher salt of fresh Paresan cheese.
    Did you tailgate any thing year.
    Mike

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Grate Grills,
    Hi Kurt, Got the egg going for tilapia cause it's Friday.[p]With my pizza, I use aluminum pans with the little holes for easy on and off. I think the pans help to keep the crust from overcooking because the pans go in cool and slow the cooking down on the bottom allowing the top to brown up. Top and bottom are done at the same time. A little Aussie syrah wine goes good with pizza. :o)
    Clay

• Grillhauberichtlinien
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    Look for a ceramic/pottery supply shop in your area. You can get some nice thick kiln shelves and stilts to give a similar setup to the BGE platesetter.[p]I did a quick search of this place and they have some stuff listed way near the end of the list under kiln furniture.[p]Not knowing the exchange rate I can't tell you if the prices are good, but you can get information to shop around.[p]Good luck.[p]

[ul][li]pottery place.[/ul]
  • Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    Howdy Mike,[p]We are just coming into Autumn/Winter so that is the more appropriate time for tailgating sports (e.g., footy). Summer has total fire bans (no open fires or wood/charcoal fires).[p]So no, sadly I have not done one. And the way things are at the moment it is not likely to happen too soon. Crikey I have only fired the egg up once in the past few months (to toast pizza bases), that says something doesn't it? Too much on around the home and at work at the moment on weekends. But at least the F1 season has started so that is something <smile>, and there is an Aussie in it - Mark Webber - drives for Williams BMW.[p]Thanks for touching base Mike.[p]Hugh.
  • Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied. I'll give your ideas a workout.[p]Cheers,
    Hugh.