Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do I put my food on?

eggfarmer
eggfarmer Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today is going to be my 2nd time to use my egg. Using the "old typical" charcoal grill I always waited until my coals where white with ash and no flame. Do I wait until there are no flames? When do I shut the lid once the fire has started? Thanks in advance for the tips!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I shut the lid right away. Then, when you get to your desired cooking temp, vents set and see that it has somewhat stableized and the white puffy smoke has subsided and is now blueish almost clear, you're ready to cook.

then be sure you know what temp you're targeting for your meat and use a thermometer of some sort to monitor that.

Here's a good link for those temps.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
  • TNT54
    TNT54 Posts: 40
    I wonder if the timing of when you should close the lid depends on how you light your lump. For me, if I light the lump in a "chimney" starter I can close the lid as soon as I dump the lump out of the chimney. But if I use a fire starter, I let it burn for 10 min or so to get the lump started before I close the lid. I don't use a MAPP or propane torch, but if I did I suspect that would be another "close after you light it" case. But since I frequently use a fire starter (let's face it, they're easy), I'm not closing the lid until the lump is clearly burning.

But I've only been doing this for a month or so and still have things to learn.

Cheers,

T.
  • Here's what I have been doing lately:

Light the fire with 3 paper towels with oil and leaving the lid open until the fire "drops" (no longer seen on surface) then I close the lid but leave the daisy wheel off until temperature gauge starts climbing then I put on daisy wheel and adjust vents to my desired settings.

Whether you see fire will depend on your temp. More than likely you will see relatively undisturbed lump on top but if you look past that you will see glowing red lump and/or fire.

Calibrate your thermometer in boiling water and trust what it says. grate temperature is typically 25ish degrees less than the dome from what others have said.

Throw on food when temperature is established where you want it and the nasty smoke is gone. You will get faster at this with practice!