Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reliable meat thermometer

Options
HB Tiki
HB Tiki Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering if anyone can help, I've had terrible luck with my Polder digital thermometer. Long story short, the first time I used it, I left it in a tri tip roast cooking at a temp of 350, but when the probe reached a reading temp of about 110, it fried and quit working. I bought a new replacement probe and the same thing happened. Maybe I'm a moron and these thermometers aren't meant to be left in during the entire cooking process, or I bought a junk thermometer. Is there a reliable insta read digital thermometer that can be left in the BGE during cooking? Oh, and of course I had the digital reader far away from the heat source. Any product suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I would recommend the Maverick et-732 if you want to leave it in the meat while cooking. I love mine. It has 2 probes and a remote so that you can see what is going on when you are inside your home. You can also set alarms for your egg temp and meat temp should something happen on an overnight cook. If you want just an instant read and you don't want to leave it in the meat while cooking then get yourself a thermapen from the dealer on line or "Mollyshark" You won't regret either one and both are top notch.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    Make sure to note the operating temp. of the probe. My first one was a cheaper one that I think went to 375 degrees, which is rather close to what you were cooking at. Did you wrap the exposed parts in foil? This can help protect the leads.