Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maximum dome temperature before damage?

flyboy320
flyboy320 Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been starting my egg using rubbing alcohol as seen in this youtube video.

I've noticed that sometimes the dome thermometer reading will exceed 750 (my best guess is around 800') for about 15 seconds when lighting in this manner. Is there any chance of damaging the egg when the temps get this high, or is the egg capable of much higher dome temps before any damage occurs?

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I have never heard of any damage to the dome from high temps. I usually top mine at 700 or so when Trexing a steak but some folks go higher.

Now gaskets, that is a different matter. High temps will put your gasket at risk, especially if you are using a plate setter or pizza stone (forces heat around the edge).

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Cant get hot enough. With it wide open and the hottest charcoal I've been over 1200 with no damage.

Doug
  • flyboy320
    OK, thanks guys :)

Had a look at my gasket and perhaps the first 1/8" (from the center) is black, but the rest (I'd say 80%) is fine, but I guess that's par for the course after using it for a while.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    The egg isnt really at 750 when you see temps like that when you first spark off. Thats flame temp the thermometer is picking up. the dome isnt even close to that temp

FWIW, some users routinely take their egg nuclear, 1000 more orm
    less
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    This has rolled around and held this temp for well over 30 minutes. Yea, it's the mini, but I've done the same in my large (and even higher temps) with no ill effects.

You can't hurt it, let it rip - but be careful!

MiniJammin.jpg
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I had my 1000* Tel-Tru buried last weekend during a cleaning burn. No problems other than the fried gasket which was solved by a new Rutland this morning.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • flyboy320
    OK, thanks guys, puts my mind at rest... ;)