Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Egg

Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my very first egg yesterday and the maiden voyage was 1" bone-in Rib-eyes. Used a mix of Hickory and Cherry wood. Wife said it was the best steak I have ever made. Better the the restaurants in our town. Very tender, flavorful and juicy. I am going to try my hand at smoking baby backs today. Using Uncle Kenny's rub. I have to research recipes, which woods to use and cooking directions. I want them to knock her socks off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Com on Dave, only the socks, lol Smokin some good ole pork loin should get you more than socks. Try a slit down the center, stuff with apples, pecans, crasians, tie w/ butchers twine cook til desired temp. Serve w/ wine and sides your fave. Do your thing, be creative ain't nuttin bad on the Egg, but go for more than socks. :):):):) to you and enjoy your adventures on the Egg. Milesofsmiles.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear you cook turned out well. Don't over-think all these cooks, cooking on the egg is pretty easy and forgiving.

Lot of good rib recipes, most flavor woods work well with pork. I like cherry, apple, Jack Daniels, grape and most all of the hardwoods.

Here is a link to a popular rib cooking method.

Mike's Rib Class When you get to this page and after reading go to the home page and you will find a lot of great information.

Here are some ribs I whipped up with Mike's method.
    Dry ribs
    ribs1.jpg

Wet ribs
    ribswet1.jpg

I pretty much follow the same method for the beef ribs.
    beefrib3done.jpg

Have fun and I'll be looking forward to reading and [ul]seeing[/ul] more of your cooks.

GG
  • G-squared
    G-squared Posts: 35
    Congats, on the new purchase, and welcome aboard
    LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Welcome to the crowd!! I've had mine about 1 1/2 months now and love it. Next step sell the gas grill!! I could use it to store my EGG stuff though??? :laugh: :lol:
  • Zogman100
    Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Congrats on the new egg, you're going to love it. My best advice is read all you can here. Great advice, tips and recipies. This was posted yesterday and has links to about any information you'll ever need:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1104142&catid=1
    Congrats again and happy eggin'

Steve....
    Omaha