Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight\'s chicken cook

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have never been a fan of dark chicken meat until tonight. I followed the ono ono chicken recipe from here and have to say that I am going to be buying thighs more often now.

Used the small tonight.
102_5049.jpg

Plated. Laurie made a slaw that was fantastic. I never thought you could use ramen noodles for anything other than a cheap meal to absorb the beer :ermm:. And oriental green beans
102_5050.jpg
forgot to include the slaw recipe....

Asian coleslaw
Base)
1 pkg slaw mix
½ cup red onion
Sprinkle with dry mustard and pepper. Mix well
Nut mix)
Toast the following in skillet with olive oil
1 pkg ramen noodles (oriental flavor) smashed (reserve spice pkg)
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup sunflower seeds
Wet mix)
Mix the following and heat to a luke warm temp.
¼ cup evoo
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
3 TBS soy
1 TBS honey
1 TBS chopped garlic
Oriental ramen noodle spice pkg
Toss evrything together and serve warm

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Now that looks might good!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I really think that thighs and drumsticks are some of the greatest money saving cooks that there are. Once you figure out a recipe you like, it's nice to have a meat of the meal for 6 plus people is less then three bucks ;):)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Richard, I love grilling my thighs using my grid extender on my AR. I go 400F dome until the internal temp reaches 200F plus. That gives me crispy skin and I love the texture of the thigh when cooked that well done. :P

Happy egging :)
  • wkygriller
    Scott,
    The taste was awesome. I had planned on cooking them last night, but I had an issue at work that held me up and didn't get home till 8 last night. So they went an extra day in the marinade. Not sure if that made a difference or not, but will be printing off this recipe for future uses.
  • wkygriller
    Scott B,
    This is my first try at thighs and so far I do like.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have bookmarked this, will try soon!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • wkygriller
    Hey Tim,
    I will be checking with you next week on what I "really" need from CGS.
    Also, How are you on lump? My dealer called me last week and asked if I wanted to go in on a bulk buy of WGC. I ordered 23 bags in the Nashville buy and now I am down to 10 :ohmy:
    Let me know
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Great looking meal Richard, thanks for sharing . . . darn . . . hungry again!

Blair

• Yardawg
    Yardawg Posts: 16
    Nice looking cook Richard.

Tim(2Fategghead) just called me about this post.
    I am interested in a bulk buy of WGC.
    Check your email threw here.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Richard, I will mix RO on top of the WG and so far it aids in lighting and makes it seem like the lump is lasting longer. We started with close to 13 bags of WG and have 8 bags now. I will probably use what I have for now but, I did contact Yardawg AKA Sandy about your WG group buy and I see he has already contacted you.

Let me when you want to talk about your upcoming AR purchase. Tim ;)