Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$5.97 per pound Aged Prime Ribeye

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
H.E.B. had another one of their Aged Prime Ribeye sales for $5.97 a pound so we bought a couple of them. Both were right at 2" thick and weighed about a pound and a half each.

Steak6-5-11.jpg

We cooked one of them the way we always do. It looked good and felt very tender. But it turned out chewy and flavorless.

Do you think it may be due to the cow being a bit ticked off at the idea of becoming steak, or is it possible that it's another communist plot? Or maybe something else?

I hate to get a good deal that turns out not so good.

Spring "Dead Cows Tell No Tails" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Maybe the aged part of the description was referring to the age of the cow. :P
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Haven't thought of that.

(Thinking)

Naaaaaa! H.E.B. wouldn't do that to customers.

Besides, old cows have to be fed all the time they're growing old enough to become chew toys for dogs.

Spring "Cows Don't Retire" Chicken
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's some funny stuff right there. hahahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Maybe you a "right handed" ribeye! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That's funny!

reminds of some 'Grampa Back Loin Ribs' I've had dealings with :lol:
  • We bought some of those over here in Kingwood also and they were really good. Nicely marbled and being boneless they really were a good value.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I walked into HEB on Saturday to buy some salmon and noticed the ad as I entered. I thought I would go with steak instead of salmon. However, when I went to the counter I didn't see the sale price listed. Figuring I either misread the ad, or the price didn't include their thick cut ribeyes, I just bought the salmon.

In hindsight I bet the sale price had fallen flat leaving only the regular price displayed on the thick cut ribeyes. Darn, because that is an excellent price.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Leroy, you Texans are so fortunate with your beef prices. The only way I could aquire prime, aged steak for that price would be to run over over a fat, very lost Texas Longhorn steer and come back a month later.
  • Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    Don't know what it is but I haven't gotten any real good ribeyes lately. The last 3 times I cooked I was disappointed with the taste and tenderness.

(but trying again tonight with some aged Black Angus)

Vanzo
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    When I was trying to find a local ranch here in Georgia to get meat from I came across some interesting articles about marbling and how meat is graded. It was talking about how corn fed cows have better marbling and how better marbling doesn't always lead to better flavor. The one article I was reading they had meats from several ranches that were all $25 plus a pound prime aged steaks and the steak that won every taste test was from a grass fed cow that didn't have great marbling.
  • tsheehan7
    tsheehan7 Posts: 105
    Lit wrote:
    When I was trying to find a local ranch here in Georgia to get meat from I came across some interesting articles about marbling and how meat is graded. It was talking about how corn fed cows have better marbling and how better marbling doesn't always lead to better flavor. The one article I was reading they had meats from several ranches that were all $25 plus a pound prime aged steaks and the steak that won every taste test was from a grass fed cow that didn't have great marbling.

So did you ever find that local GA ranch?