Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Loving my new "griddle"

Options
guzzijason
guzzijason Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Actually, it's the Lodge 14" pizza pan. I generally use it with a spider, or sometimes right on top of the normal cooking grid. It seems like a custom-made Eggcessory! ;)

241668_1974499434946_1016862963_32237531_1757424_o.jpg
259413_1976898814929_1016862963_32242132_1486051_o.jpg
240859_1976906055110_1016862963_32242167_4909783_o.jpg
256742_1972429863208_1016862963_32233499_3402146_o.jpg
258785_1972433183291_1016862963_32233520_2628997_o.jpg
258777_1972435863358_1016862963_32233525_5919328_o.jpg

__Jason

Comments

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Options
    Looks like you got the hang of it. Good luck with it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That does look like it was made for the egg. I have been thinking about getting one of those myself. Lots of cooking space...and no handles to cut off. Looks like it would be perfect for fajitas.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That all looks really good, Jason, but right now I'd be all over that hamburger. Cool little griddle. About how much was it?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    Options
    I have the same pan.. I actually use it for pizza on the BGE, even though the forum members says I should only use a stone, but it seems to work fine for pizza once I got the correct temp and timing. I am sure a stone is better.

I have always wanted to use it as a griddle except I didn't want the splatter, using it indoors that is... looks like it works great inside the BGE.
  • guzzijason
    Options
    Folks will say that stones are better because they absorb steam. I'm not 100% sure that's accurate, however. I always use a stone myself, but mainly because I didn't have a better option. However, there are others in the hard-core pizza-making circles who will tell you that porosity isn't nearly as important as conductivity, and that the best baking surface for pizza is a heavy steel plate.

I do a lot of pizza making as well, so I may need to give it a shot at some point on the cast iron.

__Jason
  • achtungpv
    achtungpv Posts: 39
    Options
    If you have an Academy local, I believe it's $14.99 there. I don't think theirs has handles though.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Jason:

I use mine when I'm too lazy to go out and set up the BGE. Mario Batali claims he uses this in his restaurants.

Preheat the broiler. I put the pan on the stovetop and use a laser gun to monitor when it gets up close to 450° (Mario says 375°, but what does he know). Then cook on both sides of the dough round. Add toppings and put 4" under the broiler till toppings are bubbly and crust is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.

Comes out just like the real stuff! I'm not crazy about handling the heavy blazing hot cast iron handles, being a weak wimp, but I do what I have to.
    Judy in San Diego
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    I have a smaller scale one of these with a handle that I use stovetop. Here's a question...do you really get smoke flavor or such using this on the egg? I guess I'm wondering if it is worth firing up the egg if you are using a griddle. I have to admit I'm getting lazy in my old age. Hoping the answer is yes. I love that damn griddle and want to experiment.
  • guzzijason
    Options
    mollyshark wrote:
    I have a smaller scale one of these with a handle that I use stovetop. Here's a question...do you really get smoke flavor or such using this on the egg? I guess I'm wondering if it is worth firing up the egg if you are using a griddle. I have to admit I'm getting lazy in my old age. Hoping the answer is yes. I love that damn griddle and want to experiment.

In this case, it has nothing to do with smoke flavor. Stuff that I sear on the griddle doesn't stay long enough to absorb any appreciable smoke flavor anyway. For instance, when I did the filet mignons, the meat was only cooked for 2 min per side, and then taken off to rest. You're not going to get much smoke flavor from that, even directly over the flame.

No, the purpose here is to sear and ideally form a nice crust. I've come to the realization that for things like steak and burgers, you can't beat the sear that you get from cast iron. I started cooking certain things in cast iron pans on the Egg last year, but the pan was awkward to use, with the handle getting in the way and what-not.

Also, searing at hi-temp creates a fair amount of smoke - another reason why I like to do it on the Egg, rather than smoking up the house.

__Jason
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    I've been eyeing the same one on Amazon.. maybe I need to get it. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.