Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Shrimp Ideas

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some ideas for shrimp. After work today, the wife and I are going over to my parents house to jump in the pool, look at their pictures from their latest trip to Europeand then I'll be grilling some shrimp for dinner on their old gasser (yuck! This thing needs to be retired to a landfill it is so old) and would like some creative ideas other than a simple marindae in Italian dressing. No bacon wrapped shrimp and nothing too spicey (mom doesn't do spicey) Sauces to go along would be great. Sides will probably be corn on the cob, grilled veggies and maybe some couscous and some french bread.

And yes, I am using the search function and going through old posts right now, but was hoping somebody had something great they could share real quick.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This is EGGtastic:
    Leave out the wasabi mayo and use regular if it is too spicey with.

Shrimp, Burgers, SSN686

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb raw shrimp (cleaned, shelled & deveined)
    1 egg
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or cilantro
    1/2 cup Panko Crumbs
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground Black Pepper
    Wasabi Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
    Wasabi Mayonnaise:
    1 cup Mayonnaise
    1/4 cup prepared Wasabi (available in the Asian section of the supermarket)
    1 tsp freshly grated Ginger
    2 Tbs Soy Sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    pinch salt

Preparation:
    1 In a food processor, process half the shrimp with the egg.
    2 Coarsely chop the remaining shrimp and put it into a bowl.
    3 Add the processed shrimp & parsley/cilantro, panko crumbs, salt & pepper to taste (I usually use about 2 tablespoons of DP Shakin' the Tree rub instead of S&P).
    4 Form the mixture into patties (we have found that a 1.5 inch square cookie cutter works real well for this. Put the cookie cutter on freezer or waxed paper and fill with the shrimp mixture, then gently pull off the cookie cutter).
    5 After the burgers are formed, put them in the refrigerator for at least one hour to help firm them up.
    Egg Setup & Cooking:
    1 Stabilize Egg at 350 with a raised grid.
    2 Place the burgers on a perforated pan such as a pizza pan with holes or disposable fine mesh screen.
    3 Place pan on raised grid and grill until cooked through, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
    4 Remove the burgers to a "bun" that has been spread with the Wasabi Mayo(Hawaiian rolls are what we have used most often as their sweetness contrasts nicely with Wasabi Mayo. These can be split to serve as open face or as a "normal" burger).
    5 Add more Wasabi Mayo on top of the shrimp burgers. Leave as whole or cut in half or quarters depending on how many you are trying to serve. We typically do 3 pounds of shrimp at a time which should yield about 24 burgers 1.5" square.
    Wasabi Mayonnaise:
    1 Mix all the ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
    2 I typically use 3 pounds of raw shrimp and this makes 24 "mini-burgers" (about 1.5" x 1.5").

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Sandwich, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: SSN686 (Jay Taylor)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '07, SSN686
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Jason,
    We really the sprimp on the barbee recipe in the recipe area on the forum. We serve it with a remoulade sauce. Very easy to do and tastes great!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Jason,

Shrimp and Scallops in Margarita Butter is fantastic. You don't have to have scallops.

-- Shrimp & Scallops --
    12 Jumbo Shrimp , tails left on
    12 Large Scallops
    1 tablespoon Chili powder
    Salt, to taste
    Pepper , to taste
    2 tablespoons Oil, Extra Virgin

-- Margarita Butter --
    1 tablespoon Oil, Extra Virgin
    ½ cup Onion, Red, diced
    ½ cup Wine, dry white
    ½ cup Cream, heavy
    1 cup Butter, unsalted (2 sticks)
    3 tablespoons Tequila
    1 lime Lime juice
    Salt, to taste
    Pepper , to taste

Shrimp and Scallops
    Heat grill to about 450 degrees and oil the grate. Season shrimp and scallops with chili powder, salt and pepper. Brush with oil. Grill each side for 5 to 6 minutes. Serve drizzled with Margarita Butter.
    (makes 4 servings)

Margarita Butter
    Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Deglaze pan with wine and reduce by half. Add cream, lower heat and reduce by half. Stir in butter a bit at a time, over low heat, until all is used and sauce is thickened. Stir in tequila and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. (makes 2 cups)

From Gage Hotel's Cafe Cenizo in Marathon

margarita-butter.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    if you want to try frying on the gasser wessb has a great recipe. me it would be proscuto wrapped stuffed with horseradish but thats the opposite direction your going :laugh: this is a real good recipe

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/cocoshrimp/coconut_shrimp.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    New Orleans style barbecue shrimp (an odd name, b/c the technique and flavors have nothing to do with traditional BBQ) works well on the egg. Here's my recipe:

Rinse a pound of 16-24 or larger shrimp (in their shells, heads on). Melt 4 T salted butter in a saucepan, adding a few shakes of worcestershire, juice of half a lemon, 1 T chopped fresh rosemary, three or four cloves minced garlic, a ridiculous amount of black pepper, and a bit of sliced onion & lemon, and simmer it all together until fragrant. Arrange shrimp in a single layer in an oven-proof baking dish; pour the butter mixture over the shrimp, and toss to coat the shrimp. Re-arrange shrimp to lie flat in dish. Bake at 350-400 degrees, until shells separate from the shrimp along the outside back curve (a small space will open up and the shell in this area will be translucent). Total baking time will depend on the shrimp’s size. If baking on a grill, turn the shrimp over after 5-6 minutes. Depending on your grill’s heat, additional turning may be required.

Photo here--http://bouillie.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/taking-advantage-of-thermal-mass/
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I was leaning towards either trying AZRPs recipe or doing a New Orleans style bbq shrimp (which I would still do on the grill).

Still accepting other ideas, though.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    If you have time, you could bake some bread on your Egg to go with the BBQ shrimp cooked on the gasser. Ha.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    After all of these delicious-looking recipes, I'm almost embarrassed to post this simple-but-yummy recipe:

* Coat peeled shrimp in EVOO
    * Sprinkle liberally with DP Jamaican Fire Walk rub
    * Put on skewers
    * Egg at ~400* for about 2 minutes a side

Results:
    DSC01109.jpg
  • Griffin
    Options
    That does not look bad at all, Jeffersonian. I am hoping to get a bottle of Jamaican Firewalk for my birthday. I've dropped enough hints to my family. :whistle:

Rowlett, Texas