Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

which egg should i get?

ineedanegg
ineedanegg Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
im thinking i may as well get an xl, is there any reason not to?

Comments

• phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    I got a large and love it. i cook mainly for myself, wife and my two kids. I am thinking of adding a small, for when cooking the quicker things.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Guess that depends on you and your cooking needs. XL is the only size I don't have just because how big it is. Its alot for an only egg. If you want to do a steak or 2 you have to fire up the xl. The large is the most popular size and really can handle alot of food.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    The XL has plenty of supporters. However, unless you are routinely cooking for an army of folks, I would receommend getting a Large and a Small BGE. The combo costs about the same as an XL and will give you more flexibility (sometimes you want to cook things at different temperatures). I think there are more accessories availabile for the Large too. Either way, you can't go wrong!
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    75% of the time I am cooking for my wife and two small children (they hardly eat anything) and I have the Large. It is still easy enough to prepare a meal for just us but big enough to put a ton of food on at the same time when we have get togethers....

Crunk
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I have a medium and I can cook for a family of four but not much more. I wish I had the large. I have read that the XL uses more lump and takes longer to heat up so unless you need the size it's better to get the large.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Large and Small for sure. Two eggs are better than one. Much more versatile.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Get a large and a small for pretty much the same price and then you have tons of flexibility. You can cook a pile of food on a large and you can actually cook a heck of a lot more than one would think on a small too. The ability to cook at multiple temps and having a smaller egg to do quick little things is wonderful.

See the thing is, is, that you have yet to own one and don't understand just how much you will be using this thing. :laugh:
  • Greenman72
    Greenman72 Posts: 20
    I have a Large, and if I could do it all over again, I would get...a Large.

The mini is a joke.
    The small is not really practical.
    The medium takes up almost as much space as a Large.
    The XL is just too massive.

The Large is just right, and most of the eggcessories are available for it. That may not be the case if you go for the others.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a large as well. And a mini. If I could have only one, it would be the large. However, your arguments against the others are ridiculous. Especially calling the mini a joke.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm having Deja Vu all over again. popcorn.gif

This should be as much fun as on the Wrangler Forum when some kid asked if 26 inch rims with lo-pro tires would fit. :laugh:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Agreed!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    I am an XL owner. Since it is my first and only egg I have nothing to compare it to,but I have NO complaints.
    I do have the following accessories that help make it very versatile.
    For the pit: Set of ANG-L brackets to divide the fire box into half or quarters for indirect w/o a platesetter,or a nice dwell area on half and a sear area on the other. Closed fire ring for those smaller cooks, both direct and indirect.
    Ceramics: Platesetter(gotta have one) Pizza stone(big enough to cook three 8 inch personal size pizzas at one time).Ceramic feet from a Large BGE( to hold up my pizza stone on the ps.
    Grids: Standard XL grid, 20" raised grid with access to 24" grid. 16" grid which clips onto 20" grid. Rib / Roast Rack.
    Caveat: I does take 10lbs of lump to fill her up from empty. However, I can do a long low and slow on the weekend and still cook three or four more times during the week on one fill up.
    I do not know how long it takes for other models to heat up, but I can usually get hot and stable in 20-30 minutes.
    After six months, my temp control is pretty good. I have learned how to adjust for the different size fires ect.
    Now go get yourself a BGE and a digital camera and show us what your made of!! :)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I have the large and couldn't be happier......if buying another Egg, it would be another large. I'm sure all the others are great Eggs as well. I just have gotten comfortable with the large and realy like it too much to change.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I, too, have just the XL. Absolutely no complaints. And as they say, bigger is always better. :) Just my wife and I but have the kids over every once in a while. My son also bought the XL. I have cooked as little as two steaks and as many as 5 racks of BBR or two drunken Chickens with potatoes and carrots.

I can have the steaks on a hot grill in ~15-20 minutes. and I don't believe I have ever filled the firebox. I did pulled pork over the weekend using indirect and not much more than a full Weber starter chimney (15.5hrs at ~220) - with the one side of a 1/2 cast iron grate and the fire at the back of firebox. Don't yet have a PS- maybe for Fathers Day.

One of the best accessories I have is a pair of all leather welding gloves (that look remarkably like the ones they sell for 50% more money as "grill accessories").

As for cleaning out the ash - a shop-vac works wonders. (as long as the fire has been out for a few days. :) Mine usually gets cleaned after 3-4 10lb bags have gone through the BGE. Remarkable how little ash is generated using lump.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I'm quit happy with my medium but it is usually just me. We really don't know how many people you are cooking for but I agree that a large and a small would give you more flexibility for about the same cost as an XL.
  • Which one did u decide to start with ? :whistle:
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    I went with a large but had the same thought process as you, bigger would be better but after cooking on it for about 3 months (usually for 4 people or so) I am glad I didn't go xl. Not that it takes long to get the egg rolling, with a little 91% it is ready to cook in about 15 minutes, but I couldn't imagine firing up the xl every time I wanted to fix burgers. However I did fix burgers with grilled pineapple, avocado, and onions on them today with 5 burgers and a couple of sausages I thought I was going to run out of room but it was a perfect match.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I have two larges and a mini.... and that mini is no joke.

Seriously, it's been said, it all depends on what you want to cook and for how many.
  • I'll agree with the crowd and go with the Large and Small combo. We've got this set up and do most of our cooking during the week on the small. But, if I were only going to get one it would be the Large.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I believe most everyone here will tell you the size is secondary to getting an egg. Grats on the future purchase. I followed the advice of so many folks when I bought mine and got a large. I also plan to add a small sometime this summer as I like to cook multiple items at the same time. I fed about 30 people off the large last year. I figure if I have to cook for more than that I need a caterer not a bigger cooker. :lol:
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • thanks for all of the advice. i think i will likely go with the large. i will keep you posted
  • My wife told me she only wanted one so I got the XL and love it....it takes some patience to get used to it, but I don't think I will need anything else...

When I cook for a crowd it works great,and when I cook for a small group of two to four it works like a champ...

If you haven't picked one, get as big as you can handle and you wont go wrong....have fun with whatever you get...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder