Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pearl Hot Dogs - I did not like

Egghead Willie
Egghead Willie Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I read a post here not too long ago about Pearl Hot Dogs. My local Stop & Shop carries them. I did not care for them at all. They cooked up great. I was very impressed. BUT the taste of them did not sing to me. I found them greasy. So, glad I tried and will stick with my Grote & Weigel and / or Deutschmacher.

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    everyone has their own favorite taste....I have to admit that I think that they are a little high in sodium.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I haven't had a chance to try them. I tried Dietz and Watson on memorial day and they were interesting. I cooked them indirect because I was making other things. They sort of exploded, but they were good.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Well, there's a first for everything. Never heard anyone say they did not like Pearls. Or that they were too greasy. Closest was Hungryman. He seemed less than impressed, but he ate them 3 days in a row so they couldn't have been all THAT bad. hahaha.

Before I discovered Pearls, I ate only G&W. I liked them, but for me, Pearls are far better. Tried Deutschmachers once, but thought they pretty much sucked.

To each, his own I guess. Sorry you were disappointed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    That brand was at BJ's also. Didn't try it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    By my not knowing anything about the dogs you mentioned when you say they "exploded" it sounds like they were natural casing franks which need to have some slits or punctures when egged. We'd hate to read a headline of Egghead fatally wounded by exploding hot dogs :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    Man, here in Alabama I've never heard of Pearl or any of the other brands mentioned in this thread! We eat Zeigler's or Oscar Mayer or any other brand that is on sale and available! But I gotta say, we make our hot dogs totally different than you do I'm sure.....a little mustard on a steamed bun, some chili, a little Lousianne Hot Sauce, and topped off with some sweet onions. Had them for lunch on Saturday.......love 'em!!

Oh yeah, and washed down with a cold Bud lite.

Vanzo
    Alabama
  • HungryMan
    Q, I liked them. Just with all the posts how great they were, I just didn't see it. I just thought they were good. I liked the size and snap. It wasn't the first time Hanger steak or Labamba experience.
  • HungryMan
    This is what hotdogs look like.
    goodconeypic-1.jpg
  • RRP
    LOL - and this is what Pearl's look like with Varsity Club knock off chili + LaBomba and some onions on steamed buns.
    IMG_0858.jpg

PS...mustard, ketchup and sweet relish need not apply! This party is in full swing!
  • Carolina Q
    haha - try 'em with some leftover butt and some bomba!! On a toasted split top bun. :)

4607448177_19acf7c077_b.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HungryMan
    Mustard, chili and onions. Thats it.
  • HungryMan
    No split top buns down here. I like the way it looks.
  • RRP
    LOL - my arteries just closed down even looking at that picture! :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    they don't need to have slits, they need to not be overcooked. :laugh:
    a split dog is an overcooked one
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Ron, I only did that once - but man were those good!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    when I used the word "slits" I meant small knife point punctures not some of the Pearls I've seen posted here that look like some want-to-be doctor has been practicing circumcision cuts like 6 to each weiner!
  • stike
    Hahaha
    Yeah i dont understand that. Fred (of fred's franks) does it, must take him six hours tomprep his dogs.
    I found the brats i made would pop if i overcooked them. Never had a pearls split. I just cook for color
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Nah those wont do it.....but these will. Remember super burger dogs????

superdogsreadytogo.jpg

superdogs.jpg
  • Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    Those look a lot like mine except for the chile. I make a chile out of 80/20 ground beef and mild pork sausage. Its about the best I have ever had although I am sure someone will come on here and tell me how much better theirs is!!

Vanzo
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Didn't he shut that stand down last year...or sold it or something?
  • stike
    he sold it to another guy, but was actually working there with the new guy the first few weeks.

the guy bought another egg, too. though he seems to be running the old one only
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Hebrew Nationals are good. But here in Michigan I buy Koegals
  • HungryMan
    Sometimes I order chili for Koegal's. They have Detroit and Flint style. Have you ever ordered that?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Two jobs ago I used to travel to Chicago quite often, where I learned how hot dogs are properly made:
    viennabeef_graphic.jpg

Sounded weird as hell the first time, but damn they're good!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch -

EXACTLY --- I had customers in Chicago years ago. Went down there and ate real Haute Dawgs...... The secret is the celery salt! And steaming them in beer. Ahhh - I gotta try that on the BGE - steaming in beer with some smoking chips and add celery seeds to the toppings or something.

Gotta love that tomato wedge in there too!