Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium for large? suggestions please

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A little over a year ago I sent a friend to a dealer who was selling some Eggs and the price was way way way right. The hooking ad on CL said a large was $595. When I called to inquire they said they only had one left. My friend ran up there and called because that really was the price and he had two.

I bought a second large that day because who could let that go by?

It mostly sits, but has come in handy a few times for entertaining.

Today my sister called to deliver an offer. My aunt and uncle would like to trade my large for their medium, platesetter and table plus cash.

I've read about folks having struggles getting temps going in mediums. How much of that is a real concern? What are your thoughts about the actual deal? Ideally I'd like a small instead of a medium, but this looks like a sweet deal.

Comments

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I have no probs with temps on my medium. It get used the most out of the 3 I have. The large sees use for entertaining and bigger cooks. The mini is my quick lunch machine. The Med is my go to most nights for dinner. Last night, I seared a couple of ribeyes (no pics so it didn't happen) at 600 then backed it down to 400 for the roast.
    I have done many overnight cooks on it and it has always held.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    The first time I cooked on a medium at an Eggfest I burned the gasket ........ meaning there was no problem getting it to high temps. The hardest part was having to tell Smitty what I had done to someone else's demo model.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have 2 mediums. No problems with them other than operator error. :whistle: Lo-n-slo cooks no problems. Hot sears work just fine. Just finished a focaccia. Started at 450 dome, and then dropped the temp to 350 so the bread would not burn.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Staci, My medium gets up to temp just fine. Use that one most weekends, unless I got folks ocer.
    Sounds like a good deal.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    "moste" weekends, unless I got folks "ocer"

Cut her off! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Love ours Stacy and no issues at all :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    My typing sux this weekend. I've been flipping letters more than Flipper did. :woohoo: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I have a Large and a Medium and the Medium is just as good at keeping temps. It is slightly quicker for getting up to temps, and of course, uses less lump.

The only drawback I have found is that it can run out of lump at about 16 hours on a low and slow, whereas the Large will go more than 20 hours easily. Of course, at 16 hours you can finish the pork butt or brisket in the oven. Besides, you could just use the Large when doing a long cook.

I'd definitely make that trade. The medium uses less lump and you would still have the Large for bigger cooks.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have read the problems about the medium and temp issues, and I know one person that suffers from this, Grandpas Grub. He is a very experienced egger, and he knows what he is talking about. I have been to his house, and seen the medium he is dealing with, and it is a situation where his fire box and fire ring are too small to force air up thru the lump. You can almost shove your arm down in between the firebox and side of the egg it is so big. I saw another medium just like his, at a dealer once.

However, I have a medium where the fire box and ring fill the egg nicely, and my medium is a blast furnace.

EDIT: found a pic of the firebox fit from a time I was cleaning the egg
    IMG_1093.jpg

I have the lg, sm, and mini also, and none get as hot, as fast as my medium. My small has a similar issue as Grandpas Grubs medium, and it struggles to get up to temp in a timely manner (without putting a alum. foil rope between the fire ring and egg wall, and blowing air in lower vent).

Enjoy that medium, I absolutely love mine.
  • reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    Options
    I have had a medium at my place since Feb and have had no issue getting up to temp.

I have tried to experiment with using 2-3 starter perices (some from HD and some from Shopko that you might use to start a campfire) and 2 seems ok but with 3 i am ready to go in about 20-25mins i would think

I get a little restless so i might run out and blow on the fire after about 5 but it gets cranking aweful quick. i have cook a lot of steaks on there and could use a new gasket, probably could have a few months back but still hangs in there.

Sounds like a really good deal for you though.