Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib confusion

Egg_eh
Egg_eh Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all.[p]Just been egging for 4 weeks and still learning !! Awesome is the lesson so far.[p]I did three bb racks last week, seasoned to taste for a couple of hours, then on the egg indirect at 225 dome for 3 hours, then 1.5 hours in foil indirect, then about .5 hours as I sauced and turned, but still indirect. To get the bbq sauce to carmelize.[p]They turned out great, and got raves all around the table. [p]The question;
When in foil do you add anything or is this a personal preference?[p]Thanks in advance for your input.[p]Egg eh

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Egg eh, Well for me I bypass the foil method. I cook straight till the end. Maybe 4 hours or more. Babybacks I do something different, but basicly the same. To each there own.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Egg eh,[p]I don't add anything until the last half hour.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Egg eh,
    with ribs, every step you take is a personal preference. i like to just season them and coat with mustard,cook immediatly direct raised grill, standing, not flat. try as many diferrent ways as you can and then decide which you like. i prefer large meaty spares over babybacks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Egg eh,[p]Welcome to the nest. I've had my ribs overcook on me in foil. If I glaze, then its in the last hour and again with about 30 minutes to go. During the cook I like to spray them every hour with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and a sweetener like apple juice, Coke, or root beer.[p]To each his, the experiment is usually as much fun as the end result.
  • fishlessman,
    I have had great success with baby backs but last week, I cooked a set of the big ones, indirect for 5 hours, then wrapped them for an hour. They had great flavor but except for the ones on the edge of each rack, they were underdone. How long do you cook these big guys?[p]Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Essex County,
    i start sampling at about 5, but sometimes go up to about 7.5 hours at 225

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Egg eh,[p]I like mixing 3/4 cup apple juice and 1/4 cup Gates Orginal bbq sauce. Shake it up real well and pour over all the ribs then foil.[p]CWM