Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lots of butt

Options
AnE
AnE Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, guys--we've been reading but not posting much!! I need help!! We are having pulled pork sandwiches for 100 on Saturday (Belmont Stakes horse race and we are having a celebration). I went to Sam's today and got a case of Boston Butt--74 pounds of it. It's in 10 chucks total, and Alan thinks we can get all of it on the BGE at once--we're gonna brine it (iced in an igloo ice chest-don't have fridge space, what with the 11 heads of cabbage for coleslaw and 25# of taters for potato salad) for a couple of days and we were planning on putting it on Thursday mid afternoon to give us enough time plus a miscellaneous "fudge factor"--any experiences out there?? Are we outta our minds???-- Do we need space around these beauties- should we use some firebricks and double stack with our smaller Weber grid?? We are using Elder Ward's recipe (none better, many of friends have told us...)..any suggestions and comments will be appreciated!! And I was thinking of injecting some brine into the meat-good idea or not??? As a side note, we thought of all of you as we went to Memphis in May's World Championship Barbeque Cooking Contest--hundreds of teams, from Professional to Amateur, in for fun or for serious...whole hog, shoulder, rib, or "everything else"---some tens of thousands of folks visited the Park for the bands, the revelry, the 'Q from area restaurants that weekend, but we were lucky enough to have friends in 4 different teams, so we got to go "on the inside"--it was a BLAST!!! You should all visit it sometime!! Cheers! Elizabeth

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    AnE:[p]Two cooks if you stack? That is my guess. I would not be concerned if the meat touches just leave a little space around the perimeter of the grill. I would cook direct and monitor with two polders. One for the bottom butts and one for the top butts because they are going to time out differently. Also, a full load of butts will take longer to cook to 200* internal than just two butts.[p]I do not think I would bother with brining or injecting. Don't think it adds to pulled pork.[p]An associate brought some "Q" to the office today. Don't do what he did and rush your cooks. The pork was good, but not pulled pork. The "Q" professionals in the office could taste that he did not cook the full time required to reach 201* internal. Makes a BIG difference . . .[p]Allow plenty of time for your cooks and good luck![p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Great points there Darryl. Nothing to add, but can relate to giving them plenty of time! The two I cooked last night and today had monds of their own. You never know when you get a stubborn one. Both of them took 3 hours a pound at 250 plus over drip pan (including the fact that I wrapped them in foil to finish).[p]AnE, see the post yesterday about multiple butts.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I said
    "The two I cooked last night and today had monds of their own." [p]I meant "minds" of their own. Time to get some sleep.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    NB - trust me, we all understand the TYPO - a few days ago in about 15 words I think I had 5. Spelling was never one of my better virtues - maybe the forum couls get a spelling checker like SD. [p]Have a great evening!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    Probably wouldn't use the spell checker. Would help a lot to read the message befor hitting POST.[p]Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious????? sp?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Gfw:[p]If we use spell checkers, we loose our "character" which is a measure of value in The Park . . .

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    AnE, Old Dave is the pro here on the multiple butt cooks! He has been ailing with a bad reaction to something, but he just made appearance today. He does 5 or 6 butts at one time on multiple racks and feeds a crowd. Drop him a e.mail right quick...I won't even begin to touch this one, except to echo the thought, "multiple cooks and freeze".
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    AnE,[p]I have sent you some information and pictures of my rack setup. Really works great with the large amount of meat in the large Egg.[p]Hope it helps.[p]Old Dave
  • AnE
    AnE Posts: 26
    Options
    Old Dave,Bless you and thanks for the info--I think it will work right nicely and will give Alan a little project and an excuse to visit the Home Depot (there goes the American Express bill!!!)
    Thanks again!! Cheers- Elizabeth

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, spell checkers are like foil in BBQ..nuttin but a crutch..(forget I said that) And for your info..Befor is spelled befo...usually with a ' after e..like be'fo!!
    :-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]