Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling stike and all other meat experts!

WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a result of the flooding and evacuation another friend recieved a whole strip roast. Since the previous owner works at Tyson I will assume is prime grade, but its not marked.

The thing is frozen. Because I pay attention to stike and his assurances that beef won't kill me in most cases, I'm nearly embarassed to ask, BUT if we thaw it and cut it into steaks can we refreeze the steaks.

When I was a kid it was a big no no to refreeze, but I really don't see a reason why we can't but want to make sure.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Thaw it and then put it in the frig for a month....then cut it up in to steaks to freeze. :)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    While I don't consider myself an expert at anything, I always buy whole loins either ribeye or strip or tenderloin that we cut and foodsaver and freeze from costco. I only "assume" they get them frozen or at least they are frozen at some point in the processing, then again I could be totally wrong on that point, but either way...we freeze them, or re-freeze them..
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Ok I'm no expert, first off hahaha
    But Refreezing has nothing to do with safety, but quality

The more you thaw and freeze something, the more cell damage it undergoes. A banana is mush after freezing and thawing. But sturdier stuff can maybe take another round of freezing. You will technically have some loss in quality, but honestly i am not sure if many of us would notice it. Just dont thaw and refreeze three, four times :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    You know, that's a very good idea. For one thing, the damage we talk about is from ice crystals shredding the cellular walls. More water loss when you cook, potentially a mushy texture too

If you dried it, you'd lose about a quarter to a third of that water, lessening (maybe) then chance for damage
  • WokOnMedium
    Thanks guys. Sorta what I thought. I thank you so much for the quick responses and all the information. It really helps.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    It is not bad from a safety perspective to thaw (if done in the frig so it does not go above 40F), and then refreeze, but it does not help the quality of the meat.

When you freeze meat, ice crystals form in the cells and some of them are ruptured. That is why there is so much liquid in the package when it thaws.

Every cycle damages the meat a little more. I have no idea if you could ever really tell the difference from a single extra cycle.

Why not just cook it whole and have a party. :laugh: :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Staci: Refreezing won't affect food safety, but the texure and quality. Have you wanted to try a dry aging experiemnt? Honestly, Thaw, pat dry, and throw in a safe part of the spare fridge where nothing will spill or drop on it. Let it go two-three weeks, then start cutting steak as needed. Then back into the fridge until the next time you want a steak. Once you hit 45 days, steak the rest, vac seal and freeze. That is what I would do!
    Or, since it is already frozen, do you have a friendly butcher with a band saw? They can cut that roast into steaks still frozen with NO problem. Then bring home and vac seal.
    My two cents!
    Hope all works out well for your friends and their flooding situation! I am still thinking about the Cajun Country that got flooded...yet we seem to get no updates anymore. :angry: Hope all goes well for them, and our thoughts are with them.
  • Little Chef
    That's where my head was at, too. I am concerned though, as we have all seen, the excess of purge in a package after thawing. Could it stand up to the aging process? I truly don't know... It's not like we can put that liquid back INTO the meat...texture may never return. Just my thoughts, and exactly why I totally despise having to freeze any meats.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Then don't freeze it. Age it and have a party :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    I actually like the idea of finding a butcher with a band saw most, and cutting frozen. Not sure what quality will be maintained after the thaw. (Did I mention I despise having to freeze meats, especially beef and pork?? :pinch: )
  • stike
    That was what i was thinking. Alton brown uses a clean hacksaw.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    9fab3de1.jpg

Well, that's because Alton doesen't own a Wyoming Saw. Heheheeee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I got one too! ;) I also got a recipricating saw for when I'm feelin LAZY! :laugh:
  • Hoss
    I agree LC.Wall to wall coverage when a town/city may be threatened but NO coverage when the flood hit thousands of rural people whose livelihoods have been destroyed. :(
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Milwaukeesaw.jpg

Right, but there is a lot of dry cleaning involved when using the sawsall.....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
  • WokOnMedium
    Thanks all. I think we'll try to find a nice butcher with a saw. I placed half of my rib roast in the fridge last night. Trying not to look at it every 5 minutes! Will try a steak at 28 days and put it back in. If I can wait that long. I cut an extra steak to hold me over. Hope one is enough.
  • Hoss
    Be brave,let it go 45,trim one or two,then let the rest of it go 60. :)
  • WokOnMedium
    Hey now! I'm not scared of the days but is my first prime rib roast ever. Do you think that thing is gonna sit down there and not talk me into eating it for 45 days! We are talking the middle of July! A whole nuther rapture could come by then and I could leave this world having never tried my own dry aged prime ribeye!
  • Hoss
    No worries.The Rapture dude said he miscalculated.It ain't commin til October! :laugh: ;)
  • :laugh:

Want to make a deal??.
    Andouille for prime rib?
    :( Sounded good to me :laugh:

Enjoy!