Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower Vent

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just realized that I assembled the egg with the lower vent facing the opposite direction of where the lid opens. Does this affect the temperature or is it purely aesthetic? My guess is the latter.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    It is designed to be below the handle. think if you had it in a table against a wall. Would you like that position?
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Mmm, by lower vent, do you mean the cut-out in the firebox? If so, turn it around to meet up with the opening on the base. Airflow is what you want.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Richard,, I think he means the vent is upside down not in the back.
    Doesn't hurt anything but it would constantly bug me if it was mine,, I get a little OCD about things like that :laugh:
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    also trying to help, just need so mo info
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It won't affect temp, but you should fix it. It's gonna be a pita to adjust temps from the back. Just loosen the lower band bolt and spin the dome and bands 180°.

Assuming I understood your question. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Royal Coachmen
    Options
    You sure did. I only have the nest right now and do not have a table but I see the point others made that it will def. be a pita to fix if I had a table. I'll spin the lower band like you suggested and get her on right. Thanks all.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My bad,, I was the one that didn't read it right.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You are eggcused. Had a friend locally who after a few years of eating my BGE food bought a large for he and wife. After a few weeks of using it his wife mentioned that it was difficult to get to the bottom vent when the BGE was hot as it was in the back of the nest. She is blonde, go figure. Problem now solved.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Royal Coachman...Please don't be concerned that you "only" have the nest. Honestly. We've had at least one Egg over 15 years...We JUST put ONE (out of our 4) into a table, and honestly, we prefer the nests. (They are mobile, and take up less space. We have the mates, too, which can just be dropped down to the side) Not a thing wrong with the nest, especially when the wind is blowing wrong and you are smoking something!! You just wheel it to the other side of the deck, and problem solved! Honest! (Always move using the hinge, and never the dome handle!) Or, spend the extra few dollars for a handler, and never worry again. Welcome!!!