Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saffire "Grill", BGE knock off?

Smokin' Stogies
Smokin' Stogies Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went to my local fireplace and hearth store to pick up some Rutland and sitting there was a back and an orange version of a Saffire grill, as the store called it. Looks comparable to a BGE large but with a squattier lid like the old XL. It has a chrome grill that adjusts in height and a platesetter but without legs. Two interesting things on it. It has a slot and a tray for feeding wood chips into the pit and the thermometer has four ranges beside the temps, Smoking, Grilling, Searing, Danger to Grill. The last starting at 750 degrees. It also looked like it was made of Terra Cotta colored ceramic and a little rougher inside that the BGE. No cover but the daisy looked like cast aluminum. Had the BGE dimples and all. All for just $1099. When I inquired about it, the store help stated he wasn't sure about it, the owner got a couple as a trial but no one knows much on how to use them.

Does anyone know anything about them?

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    http://www.saffirebbq.com/index.html

Definitely looks like a knock off. Check the videos- it is even green :laugh:

I like some of the features. I like the design of the "heat deflector" without legs and separate "grid raiser". The ability to add chips during the cook is nice (but at what cost of heat retention??).

...but $1099?? Not sure what size- assuming that is for the grill with side tables and "nest"? It is more $$ than the large egg with nest/tables. You can't be a knock off and come in at a higher price point!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Looks like it is made by Grilldome.
  • BGE didn't invent the kamado cooker. Not sure why every kamado is considered a bge knockoff. I am sure even weber will have a kamado cooker someday.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the look and the innovations are a development of Ed Fisher's. maybe it's BGE's own fault for not trademarking the look.

you don't have to invent something in order to trademark it, and that would mean none of the 'knockoffs' could look like the bge.

the dimpled surface, for example comes from the older way these were manufactured. after they came out of the mold, there was a hand applied slip or clay (terminology may be wrong) that was put on by hand. the dimpling probably decorative, and a way to cover up the seam from the molds. from what i understand, they are no longer made that way anymore, but the dimpling is now cast in, purely as a decoration, or maybe homage to the older 'look'.

that could easily have been trademarked. grill dome is smooth... so why is this saffire version, and primo, made with dimpling?

because it recalls the BGE, and trades off of its identity.

that would be trademark infringement, if it were trademarked.

copyright, and patent and trademark are all different... and if you don't have one, (patent), you can certainly try to get the other.

the daisy could easily have been patented (maybe it already has been). "an adjustable metal top for a ceramic cooker".

for some reason, whether by choice, or inadvertent misstep, it looks like BGE is either not in a position to go after anyone for infringement, or they CAN'T
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I was really wondering about the ceramics in it. They did not look to be the same quality as of the BGE or for that matter, the Primo's I have seen. Maybe the reason for the "Danger to Grill" notation on the temp gauge. I was a little shocked at the price which was more than I paid for my XL and twice as much as my Med., for in my view, a lessor quality competitor. I have seen a number of folks mention Komodo Komado and Primo but this was a new one by me. BTW, the orange is really ugly! No matter, egg #3 will be a BGE Mini or Large for me.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• I just saw the Saffire on sale for $999.00 Cdn. That includes the stand, Pizza slab, Side Racks and Tools.

However, I thought the sideracks and stand were flimsy looking. The stand had 1" diameter wheels. How long would it support a ceramic cooker?
    Dunno? Be like buying a utility trailer with 5inch wheels, overloading it then driving it on the highway and wondering why the tires all shredded?? :P