Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone

Options
Austin800
Austin800 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do I need a pizza stone or can I put the dough right on the plate setter? Aren't they made of the same material?

Thanks

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You need a pizza stone..the plate setter gets way too hot to cook on. You should also put the stone on spacers to give you some air space between the stone and PS.
  • Austin800
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm new to this part so please forgive my lack of understanding, but I thought the intention was to get the pizza cooking surface very hot. Also, doesn't the stone quickly heat up to the temerature of the PS? Thanks.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You do indeed want to get the pizza stone quite hot, but, if you get it too hot in relation to the chamber temp. the bottom of the pizza will burn before the top gets done. The pizza stone doesn't get as hot as the PS........trust me on that!
  • Austin800
    Options
    Got it, that's just what i wanted to know. Thanks.
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    I use my egg feet for spacers between pizza stone and platesetter.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I haven't made any pizzas from scratch. Papa Murphy's is great. I've cooked on both the plate setter and on stones. I don't use any kind of spacers, but then again, I'm not cranking the dome temp over 500.

From here on out, I'll be using pizza stones since my Plate Setter is black from indirect cooking.

Basically, I'm saying try different methods and find the one you like and that works best for you.

Goog luck.