Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd egg small vs large

Options
LoisLane
LoisLane Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hubby and I are very new to this Smoker Cooker deal - but loving our efforts so far. Have a Large for starters, but can easily see where a 2nd one would be handy.

Initially- I was thinking of the 2nd one being a Small. I had seen a post on here previously about someone loving their small due it being a coal miser and it is a good size for most meats (this was in a post about someone's 2nd being a mini vs a small, and that responder owned a Large & a Small). I could see using the small for beer can chicken, a few burgers, a pork loin etc, and then having our orig Large totally avail for spreading out veggies / side dishes. In reverse, if we need the orig Large for ribs, maybe the small would hold a pot of baked beans ?

Are we limiting ourselves too much and do you think we would regret a small and wish we had gone for a Medium or a Large as our spare ? We don't have excessive patio space for two larges unless we give up the gas grill, which we are not ready to do yet at this early stage in our charcoal grilling lives.

Whatever size we get- it would either be a used (I know there is no warranty then) or as a "demo egg" deal. I am a bit more comfortable risking the no warranty on a used small size/ price range than a large.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I got a large in '02 and used it for ribs and larger meals. Normally only cooked for two. Never really wanted to lite it for a steak.
    In '06 had a similiar quandry small, medium? Settled for a small and have never looked back. Now have 2 larges, medium(door prize at a fest), and a small. Cook most steaks, chix eggcetra on small.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    there are benefits to both, 2 larges and you can swap accessories,...large small combo works better for small meals. i have a large small combo but after all these years i would have preferred 2 larges and a mini ;) have you looked into the adjustable rig, i havent had a need to run 2 eggs at a time in a long time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    How much cooking real estate do you need? and how often?
    I have a large and small and last nite the small easily cooked 1 2lb bone in ribeye 1 large russet potato , 1 corn on cob and whole jalapeno (used only one rack).
    We are a family of 2 so the small gets used more often than the large. The large usually gets the weekend workouts. Last Christmas with lots of family both eggs and oven going full blast the entire day.
    Expecting a mini this birthday...you just can't have enough eggs ;)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I started with one large, went with a small for #2, bought a second large and small for our other home. Never looked back. The large with an AR and other accesories will cook plenty of food, the small is great for just the two of us or for a DO full of beans while the the big guy is chugging away on a few racks of ribs.
    It is the right combo for me :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    the nice thing with a lg/lg combo is they can share eggcessories :) but you are loosing the point of the 2nd egg as a cooker for two or as an extra egg. another point is if you want to travel with it the small is easy to pack up and go. we built a carrier for ours and it makes it very easy to load and unload and then flips into a stand for it.
    i will try to find a pic of it for you.

Found it :)
    MATTISONREUNION2093Small.jpg
    you can see the bottom has a big circle cut out of it. when you flip it over the small egg will sit right in the box to load and carry for transport.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Thanks all for the quick replies so far.

Joan - there are just the two of us... but I love veggies and we are fine w/ leftovers ("planned overs") - so when we want to grill extra baked or sweet potatoes for the week or want to spread out thin zucchini slices etc there is sometimes not enough room for that plus whatever meat we are cooking on the large - which is why I though shifting the meat to the small would help (or just using the small for a quick steak w/out heating up a large).

How often is still being determined. Twice a week for starters. Could see that be 3-4 times per week at times.

Going to try our first ribs on it this weekend, after tasting the fabulous ones at Dr BBQ's class last week. I guess I will have to do the baked beans earlier in the day & then transfer to a crock pot or chill & reheat at dinner time to clear out room on the grill for the ribs for several hours.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think you would be very happy with a small.
    "If" you change your mind you could always sell and change either way. If you buy used or Demo at a good price you will not be out much money if you change your mind.
    I have Woo Rings (Ceramic Grill Store) for both our Small Eggs and much rather cook on my Smalls than my Mini. Raised grid direct cooking is hard to top.
    Small would be great second Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The Small is great for a 5-6 quart cast iron pot.
    Beans or chili while you are cooking ribs on your large.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would go with a small. I have 2 larges, a medium, small, and mini. The small and mini get used the most. As mentioned before the small is small enough that it is portable but I have also cooked 2 8lb shoulders in it before.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have Large / Small / and Mini.
    Just the two of us and use the Mini the most.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• UPEgger
    UPEgger Posts: 39
    Options
    We have a large here and a large down south. There are two of us. The mini travels with us. Except for the low/slow cooks we mostly use the mini. UPEgger.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I bought a Med to go with my Large and love it. However, I am always cooking for at least four in my family, and we like leftovers. For just two people the Large/small probably makes the most sense.

The Med definitely uses less lump than the Large, so I am sure you would save a lot of lump with the Small. I wouldn't go two Larges, unless you plan on doing a lot of big cooks and really need that much space. But then you lose the versatility of the Eggcessories as you would need two plate setters etc.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Options
    Hi Mainegg,

I like the set-up for your small. From the picture it looks like a plywood top and bottom. If that is the case, doesn't the wood get very hot? Would you mind sending me the dimensions you used to build it. I'm getting my small tomorrow to go with my large and need to build something for it to travel in.
    Thanks
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Sounds like you need the Lg, Lg, Sm combo. :P
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    johnny I will check and see. I think Hubby just made it a 4-5 inches bigger than the egg and cut he hole to give an inch clearance for packing. we just set it on its feet on the top. a paver would give better insulation but it is used very little so we do not worry. Just when we go camping about 2 a year lol.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. :)
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    2 large - share the eggcessories interchangeably.

Plus a large is very useful size...

BTW - I have two Larges and use them concurrently all the time...
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    All done on the small tonight

5791695843_b9075886bb_b.jpg
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Lg, med, sm, mini here. I bought large, then small, then mini, then medium. If I was to do it again, medium would be second, not sure if I would have bought the small at all. Medium does much more, and doesn't use much more lump than small.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Check out wessb's website.
    That is where I got the dimentions for the one that I built.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I'm an XL and Small owner and most of the time I only need to cook for 2 of us. Our small is a perfect size for us unless we have large gatherings requiring large cuts of meats or large quantities of food.

We can get the Small cleaned, loaded, and up to temp so much quicker than our XL. It is very efficient on the lump and light enough that we can pretty easily take it with us on trips.

I'm sure a 2nd large would be useful when you need to cook large quantities of food at different temperatures. If you just want to cook large quantities at close to one temp, I'd recommend looking into an adjustable rig first. It'd allow you to put more in your large for considerably less $s than a 2nd Egg.

It really comes down to what your priorities are for another Egg and picking the path that addresses your needs the best.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Thanks for posting the pic. Neat idea.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies. You have given us good "food for thought", LOL.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I bought a small last year to compliment my large, and have been extremely happy with it. I tend to cook more on the small, and do low and slow's on the large. The small fires up faster, burns clean quicker and I feel is easier to maintain temps on. It's also much more portable and is a tailgating machine. I've done up to a 13 lb turkey on it, but mostly use it for chicken, fish, steaks and burgers. I love my large, but my small is my favorite. I can feed my family of four (2 teenagers) easily on the small.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I like it! How much does a small weigh?
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    We have 2 larges. We almost never have them both going at the same time, only for parties. Now that it's just the 2 of us at home, a small would be so much better. Last weekend we were bbqing and hubby was mentioning how much lump was being used, so I decided it was time to introduce my idea of getting a small! :P Being the frugal person he is, he did not immediately jump on board but neither will he be surprised now when I eventually bring one home. :laugh:

The only reason we ended up with 2 large is that I was vending at our local farmer's market and bought one to keep at the site. When I stopped vending, I brought it home with the idea that it will eventually go down to a family cabin in Oregon. Oldest son seems to think it's 'extra' and keeps asking for it.

I would be curious to know how many people with two larges really only have one large platesetter. Everyone keeps saying you can use the same accessories for both. I give you about a week before you decide to throw a big party and do zillions of ribs so have to run out to get a second platesetter for the second large.

I definitely would go for the small over a second large. I think you'll end up bbq'ing a lot more often. I know we would.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I'd guess the small weighs around 60 lbs. Not super light, but much more so than a large.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Mini. It's portable and easily handles steaks or chops for two. I love my Mini. Everyone loves their Mini.