Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt

huevo loco
huevo loco Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up the new egg with my bernzomatic torch. Worked like a charm.

I got paranoid about how hot it could be when I put in my plate setter, so I put it in immediately. It was hard to get pecan chips in. Can I get it up to 225 and safely put in the plate setter?

I cooked the chicken at 350 dome temp. The temperature spiked once to 450, but I got it regulated pretty quick. It took just under an hour and a half. Chicken came out nice and juicy. All in all, a pretty good first attempt.

IMG_2142-2.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Different thoughts on all this. Some put the plate setter when lighting and others do it after the egg is stable at cooking temperature and do not adjust the vents. For the most part I put in any 'bulky' furniture when the egg is at temperature. I don't use a plate setter so putting in the spider and adjustable rig anytime doesn't make any difference one way or another. Loading smoking wood is a lot easier when not using the plate setter.

Use which ever works for you.

Mighty fine looking chicken you have done there.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I find chips hard to handle and they burn up too quickly. I always use chunks of smoking wood. I usually put them in the charcoal pile when I load up the egg.

Nice chicken.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Looks nice and crispy and beautifuly smoked. Good job, and don't worry about getting the plate setter in to quickly. Good pair of gloves will take care of it for insertion and removal, assuming you know where your going to put it when you pick it up. Need to have a place to go with it once you grab it as that bad boy will be hot. :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Congrats, looks like you got the hang of the egg on that cook. Beautiful color
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Zogman100
    Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Nice looking bird. I did one of those tonight as well with a beer can up it's hiney! :laugh: I use chunks and mix them with the lump. Seems to work well. Light the fire and get the coals glowing, put in the plate setter and close the lid,stabelize temp and smoke for about an hour or so then put the bird on. That's how I've been doing it.