Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a question about cast iron grates for eggs

Options
deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i use my small cig at least once a week and more some weeks. i usually just throw it in the small or onto the spider on the large and when it gets hot, give it a good scraping with a wire brush.

now i'm reading people cleaning their cigs every time they use them and then oil them up to store them.

i just leave mine in whichever grill i used it in last and shut it down.

am i making a mistake?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i dont use mine much anymore, but i always do what your doing, scrape it when it gets hot during the next cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use the PAM olive oil spray and hit the grates before and after cooking and just burn them off like you do.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    if you are making a mistake then so am I! I made my own cast iron like 7 years ago and have never removed it (threw away the OE one). For cleaning I take a small plumber's pipe brush to it when it has crud, but most times it just gets burnt off!
    IMG_00851.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cleaning? scraping? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Michael and I think alike, cleaning CI?? What for?
    The crud keeps it from rusting. Store it in the egg along with the iron top.
    The occasional bit of rust that might show up [I am in sunny, humid, salt air Florida] gets a quick shot of Pam and a hot [as in "fire"] bath :laugh:
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    thanks guys. i'm going to continue doing what i'm doing, nothing!

cheers.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I store mine in the egg cuz it's the only grid I ever use. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Just curious - why would you only use the cig sometimes? Why wouldn't you use it for every cook?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    LOL - I kinda wondered that myself, asks the man who never understood guys having different watches or eyeglasses! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokingNSeattle
    Options
    I had about a month and half break from using the egg, and my CIG rusted. I had to spend some time with a wire wheel and a dremel to get it cleaned up. Now I just spray it w/ pam.

-L
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    No,you are not making a mistake.I do what you do and have never had a problem.The Hi heat will kill any funk,and seasoning/oiling everytime will only burn off the next time it hits Hi heat.As long as it don't rust,fuggetaboutit. ;)
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Hee Hee! A month and a half in Seattle is enough to rust anything except pavement (maybe that, too!).
    Would make it tough to take care of a cig.

:laugh: :laugh:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    I use mine on both sides: points up or flats up, depending on what I'm cooking. As far as cleaning, I'll continue to do what I've always done...NOTHING. I cna do nothing all day long... B) :silly: :laugh:

All mine ever gets is a scrape when I heat it up.
  • justgrillin
    Options
    As an avid griller, I keep my grates and grill as clean as possible. I get my grill smoking hot, scrape with brush and oil religiously. I use a variety of oils to keep food from sticking, additional flavor, and the awesome steakhouse grill marks. A little oils goes a long way from keeping food from gathering on grates and ultimately at the bottom of grill. Awesome forum!