Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question

Options
crunk
crunk Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I finally picked up my Pizza Stone yesterday and am eager to fire up my first batch of pies this evening.

To any of you who do a lot of pizza, what is my setup on the large egg? Do I go exremely hot on the dome for a short time or am i better off going with a lesser temp and longer cook time?

Any advice or tips would be appreicated!!

Crunk

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You will get several different answers/solutions.
    I do mine with platesetter legs down and pizza stone on top with something inbetween to provide a little air space. Some use the green feet, some use small copper plumbing Ells, I use three ss nuts, 3/4", I think. You can use alum foil balls if you want, but you do need a little space between the two stones.
    Light the egg and put all the ceramics in there, give them plenty of time to heat up, maybe a full hour.
    I cook my pies at about 550 and they take 12mins. Some go hotter.
    Pizzas are one of the most fun things to cook on the egg and they come out super delicious!!Enjoy :P :):)
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    I do the same set up as Capt. Frank, except I like to go for 700 and cook my pies for about 5 minutes. I prefer Florentine style pizza -- thin crispy crust with fresh tomatoes, mozz. and basil. If you go this hot kiss your gasket goodbye. I burned mine out about 2 years ago and haven't missed it.
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    Options
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am with John, Ilke a thin crispy crust also, but here is a seafood pie that did not turn out that way. It was still delicious!
    A little EVOO on the crust, then an Italian shredded cheese blend, spinach, shrimp, bay scallops, onion, sun dried tomatoes, more cheese :ohmy:
    5464690259_06dafed0cd.jpg
    P2200011 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    YUM,YUM :P :cheer:
    5464691279_5688ccdc2e.jpg
    P2200015 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    You can come up with so many different recipes, some even use LONEY! :laugh: :laugh:
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    I do mine at 700 for about 5-6 minutes. Did a white pizza with no sauce and it was incredible. Ricotta, garlic butter, roasted red pepper(from the Egg of course), and spinach then topped with fresh mozzarella medallions. So yummy!