Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

clean my egg....Hoss?

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone referenced directions from Hoss...I can't find...anyone have the link?

Comments

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    I need it too. Soot falling off as I type :sick:
  • Booking It
    Booking It Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi! I just saw your question in my original thread. I can't find his post, but here is what I did based on what he had written...

-took everything out
    -totally cleaned out all of the ash
    -put firebox and ring back in (I wanted to clean the ring... Next time, I will leave the ring out
    -loaded the firebox with fresh lump... I actually went about halfway up the fire ring
    -nothing else in the egg... No grate, no platesetter
    -took off the daisy wheel
    -bottom vent completely open
    -lit the lump and let it rip! It got to 700+ in less than 30 minutes. I let it go at 700 for about an hour. Flames were shooting out the top. It was pretty cool. :)

I then peeked inside to see how it was progressing after one hour. I could not believe that it was totally white! I knew that some blackness would burn off, but it was quite amazing that it was ALL gone. What you saw in my picture is exactly what it looked like. I did not scrub it or anything. And the lid, fire ring, and walls were BLACK to begin with!

5776777315_9556a5374b.jpg
    Clean burn
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    Was it just black or really gunked? My medium has 4 years of gunk...
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1090020&catid=1

There is a link, to a thread, with a post from Hoss. About half way down the first page.

Pretty much what Booking It says...

One thing to note, Hoss no longer has a gasket. You can see that it's gone in his photos. I don't know when he lost it, but it's worth noting.

I'll do a clean burn next before I change out my gasket.

Ted
  • Booking It
    Options
    Double post. Stupid iPad. Or stupid user :laugh:
  • Booking It
    Options
    That was the exact post I was trying to find! Thanks!

It was black with a pretty thick layer of gunk/goo. The guy we bought it from hadn't used it since last summer, so it was caked on pretty good.

The gasket was maybe 50% in tact before we did the burn, and it was completely gone after. We were planning on putting a new one in, so this was perfect since it totally burned the old one off right down to the ceramic.
  • GirlyEgg
    Options
    No problem there...my gasket is purely in my imagination at this point... So I guess i'll crank ger up!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    In going back to the original post that Hoss lines out his clean burn, the very last photo is marked "before the burn" I noticed, no gasket there. So at least that particular clean burn didn't eat the gasket.
    Interesting.

B)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon