Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket's on!

TRPIV
TRPIV Posts: 278
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning fellow Eggers!

5.5lb Brisket (flat) is in the smoker. I injected the mini beast with some apple juice and apple cider vinegar (80/20). Rubbed with mustard, salt and pepper, and some dry rub. She's dialed in at 225. Going for an internal temp of 185. I put it on at 6:15am. The plan is to have it done by 3, for a one hour rest, and eat around 4. First Brisket, but I think this should be doable. Any thoughts?

So while the brisket is on, I'm sitting on the back patio, watching the roll in and out, down in the valley. I'm being greeted by the sounds of Doves, Turkey, Crows, other wild birds... and Peacocks.

I wonder what smoked Peacock would taste like? In my mind, bacon... very colorful bacon.

Please feel free to tell me if I need to change anything on the Brisket.

Happy Memorial day gang.

bpnew.gif

Comments

• TRPIV
    After reading all the brisket threads I could muster, I went ahead and bumped the egg up to 250 at the dome.
  • It should be good. Dont be alarmed if its a little dry. Everytime I only cooked a flat it was dry. When I cook a complete brisket with the point attached its always "on point" (pun intended). Let us know how it turns out.
  • TRPIV
    I just mopped it a little bit. Currently the meat is at 158. The dome is 240'ish.

First impression? Looks kind of "tough" right now. :)

Ted
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    New to BGE but lots of smoking time...did a BGE 6# brisket flat a couple of weeks ago (with pre and post cook calibrated dome thermo @ 250-275*F)and it took 13 hours to get fork twist tender. Worth the time as it was the best brisket I have had-beat a water smoker hands down. So, don't be upset if this one runs on...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    TRPIV wrote:
    I just mopped it a little bit. Currently the meat is at 158. The dome is 240'ish.

First impression? Looks kind of "tough" right now. :)

Ted

When I do brisket I set a alarm at 190 and all that means is "hey put the beer down and stick your meat and see if it has relaxed". I then stick the brisket and see if it is like soft butter, if not I raise my alarm to 195 and have another beer. Some brisket is relaxed at 190 , some at 205 just depends on the piece of meat. Make sure you have enough beer to get to 205. B);) :laugh:
  • TRPIV
    Ha! I like your style! No time for drinking right now. I think I should have started this one sooner or had the temp up a bit more than 240.

It's about 2 hours before people start arriving and the brisket is kind of hanging at 164. If I'm going to pull it at 200 +/-, it needs to get moving.

I've bumped up the temp in the egg to 325. I've double wrapped the egg in some heavy duty foil and added about a cup of stock to the foil pouch. I may add more.

I'm not sure if this one is going to make it. Maybe I run to the store and get some ground beef for burgers?

Talk to me goose,...
  • TRPIV
    The increase in heat and wrapping it in foil was just the ticket. The alarm went of at 190, and I tested it. Still not quite done. So I checked it every 5 degrees and then pulled it at 200.

In it's foil cocoon:
    IMG_6366.jpg

Cut the foil open to see how it looked:
    IMG_6368.jpg

Daughter giving it the thumbs up:
    IMG_6367.jpg

Wrapped in three towels and put in a soft sided cooler:
    IMG_6369.jpg

My son giving the the thumbs up:
    IMG_6375.jpg

My wife, giving me he evil eye:
    IMG_6376.jpg

It's been resting since 3pm our time (PST). I'm going to go cut it up. I'll try to get a photo before the dive in. :blink:

Ted
  • TRPIV
    It has been resting in the towels since 3pm (PST).

The rest really softened up the bark:
    IMG_6381.jpg

I didn't really add any wood for 'smoking' as my wife (ole evil eye) isn't crazy about smoke flavor. There is a little start of a ring:
    IMG_6382.jpg

The ends are fork tender. The middle is juicy.

Can't beat it for a first time attempt at a brisket. :)

Thanks for letting me share.

Ted