Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gettin ready to fire up my new XL for the 1st time

Options
back2grillin
back2grillin Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am an experienced "gas griller" from IOWA who loves to cook and grill. Researched the BGE and upon advice from others bought the big one (XL). Any advice for damper controls that would help me throught my novice egg phase? Doing tenderloin steaks and corn on the cob tonight... ( i have been looking on the forum, at the main site receipes and videos, and at the naked whiz...)

Comments

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    I would prpbably attack this cook as a two temp affair. 350ish for the corn for a bit turning every ten min or so and then cranking the heat to about 500 or so for the Tenderloin, removing the corn when done. Too many techniques and theories on this subject to go into for a first cook. Get the feel of it and enjoy your meal. I'm sure you'll do just fine. :) Welcome to the madness.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Higher temps cooks, remember to do the "burp"
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • bbqnut
    bbqnut Posts: 10
    Options
    After some experimenting you'll get the hang of temp control. I've owned my XL for about 3 months now and have cooked on it regularly. It's been amazing to me how well these things regulate temperature. When you light the Egg, once you start to get within about 15-20 degrees of where you want to be, start adjusting the dampers back. I've learned it's easier to get more heat if necessry than to try and bring it down if I've let it get too hot. However, if you want to get a good sear on some meat, just leave everything wide open and you'll be at 500+ in no time!
  • back2grillin
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! Dinner was AMAZING. The most flavorful and moist beef tenderloin I have ever had. I have a family of four and then had my parents and an aunt over for the first cook......they all raved over the flavor and the process. I did the tenderloins like the BGE website does the steaks (high temp sear, then shut the dampers to finish cooking), again the steaks were spot on! I cooked the corn in the kitchen while the egg was coming up and put it on the egg after the steak sear when the damper where closed to get the "egg" taste... it worked well. I am very happy with my XL and look forward to a lot of cookin' this Memorial Day weekend! (I'm thinking smoking ribs...)

So with a full belly and a smile on my face, I'm relaxing as my Egg cools down and I will talk to you all in EGGland soon! :cheer:
  • riverboy
    riverboy Posts: 1
    Options
    Should I prep my XL egg in anyway before the first cook on it? Oil anything? Run it on hot empty? Any "seasoning" of the egg necesary??Input please,Thank's
  • bbqnut
    bbqnut Posts: 10
    Options
    I didn't oil or season mine. Just got it fired up, let it burn for a little while and threw on some burgers for the first cook.