Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have you made your own ash pan?

Options
drd217
drd217 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if anyone had ever made their own ash pan. It looks like a $3.00 metal dust pan could be cut into a curved shape with a pair of metal shears and work just fine to save several bucks.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Easy enough I'm sure, but I use a shop vac for clean-up. Works great and a cheap 5gal or smaller can be had for around $20 :)
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I just use a regular big plastic dust pan. Of course I never remove hot ash, but never really needed to.
  • drd217
    drd217 Posts: 2
    Options
    I presently use a plastic pan with a straight edge and it seems to always be hard to maneuver along the curved edge. It seems a curved metal pan would be a lot cleaner to use.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I have the curved one that BGE sells. The "curve" really only matches the large, and even then, ash seems to work its way between the egg and the pan. I think a better design would be to have only the sides cut back a bit, so you'd have a small lip to go under the front edge of the egg.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just use an old stainless mixing bowl. My egg is in a nest so I can hold the bowl under the bottom of the egg while I scoop out the ash. Wouldn't work if I had the egg in a table.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I use a wood stove ash shovel, a few bucks at farm/hardware store. Had to bend the sides a bit so it would fit into my xl vent. It's handle is long enough to go all the way across the egg. With the shovel, I can remove 80% of the ash, generslly good enough. I do use the shop vac from time to time to get it all out.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Less than that... 99 cents...

ash1.jpg

ash2.jpg
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    That is what I was thinking. Nice idea.

Enjoy your weekend.
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    I sell the plans for $10. :whistle:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    AshBucketcopy.jpg

Yeah, I have. Mine is kind of double duty as the bucket stores the ash until it's "dead out" (Smokey Bear mod), and the bucket can serve as a general garbage can whilst cookin'.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    How does that work mounted in a table?? :blush:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01604a.jpg

A table?? That would restrict my style too much. Heheheee. Plus, I have enough trouble as it is with snow on the wings...

DSC06185JPGa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    You know some stuff, thirdeye!!
  • PhilsGrill
    Options
    Let me guess... overnight snow fall????
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I had been doing real well with a trimmed-up disposable aluminum pie pan, but you wizards on this site goy me thinking and I see our local Home Depot has a 3 gallon shop-vac for $24.99.
    I think that's the future for me!
    B)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    FlaPoolMan's "Southern Engineered" attachment to a shop vac:

Flapoolmansshopvac.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    Thirdeye,

Love the BBQ tool rack! One of your inventions? BTW I'm following your Pork Butt Recipe tonight!

Eddie
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    Thirdeye,

Love the BBQ tool rack! One of your inventions? BTW I'm following your Pork Butt Recipe tonight!

Eddie