Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help, Please

Options
wspwooks1
wspwooks1 Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Egghead community,

I am doing my second attempt at brisket this weekend and I am looking for some pointers.

I wanted to know peoples thoughts on the following:

Temps (Egg Dome and when to pull brisket for rest)
Smoking wood preference
Rubs

I was also wondering if I could get a re cap of the grain of the meat in regards to cutting the brisket and if there is any difference if I buy only a flat or an entire brisket with a point as far as cooking. Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff

Comments

• Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    I like 225 degrees, w/ mesquite wood for smoke.
    fat side up ...some on here like fat down, I have never done it that way.
    pull when meat is 200 - 205 or passes the fork twist test
    cut across the grain of the meat.
    use rub of choice, i make my own very simple and basic. Internet has many to choose from or pick a store brand...many here like Dizzy Pig I have not used it but plan on giving it a try soon.
    I have only ever cooked whole brisket, but I have not heard of any cook differences.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    No rocket science needed.

Generally, Dome 250° cook until the [ul]meat is tender[/ul] which will be somewhere between +/- 150°-200°. When the meat is tender then pull and rest. Remember there will be some residual cooking when resting the meat.

Cut against the grain. It is easier to determine the cut before you start cooking. Some will make a reference cut before seasoning and putting on the egg.

Again, generally, folks prefer and recomment to use the whole brisket (point and flat).

With that said Main Egg posted a brisket cook the other day which looked fantastic. A little different method and something I am going to try. You can do a search using 'brisket' or do and advance search on her screen name.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Just did this Tuesday 6 lbs was wonderful. lots of good posts on briskets if you use the search feature above.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=187&func=view&id=1095581&catid=1&limit=24&limitstart=0
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Make sure you take a look at this great cook. It's a must do on my list.

GG
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I have had good luck with "Beasts"

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

Welcome to the journey....and the forum
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, You've noticed that many pit temps, and a big variety of rubs are used on brisket. But that holds true for all barbecue, because we really don't have recipes.... we have techniques. And one technique can yield a lot of recipes.

As far as the grain question.... yes, against the grain is what you are after. The point muscle sort of lays atop the flat muscle, so the grain changes between those two. Here is an example of with-the-grain, and against-the grain. Look at the brisket before cooking, then as you slice it, adjust the position of the flat so you will be slicing against the grain. Also, if you cook your brisket so tender that the slices fall apart, just make thicker slices.

Brisketgrain.jpg

A reference mark for the grain is handy. I use a V notch when the brisket is uncooked, and plan on slicing the flat across the V.

CopyofDSC08370BBcopy.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    I've only done about 6 or 7 briskets.
    250*F Dome.
    throw it on there and I don't think about it. For me they usually go about 1hr/lb. and I'll usually check it about 2hrs before that. and then and hour before I think it will be ready.

Key is don't over think it. rub it down, throw it on, trust the egg.
    context is important :)