Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: curing to-do list

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Starting the week-2 cure of a nice 6lb bresaola i began last friday. Needs another hit with the cure, a week more of curing, then a month in the rafters :laugh:

Last friday i cleaned the fat and silver skin off a 6+ pound eye-round and rubbed it with a powder of half of the cure ingredients

eye-round.jpg

bresaola_trimmed.jpg

bresaola_cure_mix.jpg

Tomorrow sees the start of a salt-cured air dried ham ('prosciutto' for lack of a better name), and (drumroll please) an american style country ham. Both about 16 pounds, from a farm in Groton MA

Easy week, after a long run of work. Doing one fairly simple illustration for a client, but played hooky a few hours each day and did a piece for myself. iPhone pic, so if you hate it, blame it on that

Painting.jpg
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Nice Jeff.. and the bottom pic.. I have a piece of dip dyed, spot dyed wool that looks almost like that. love the colors and movement in it. would be a cool wall hanging to hook. have some downy soft lambs wool that would be cool for the white tuffs....
  • stike
    Options
    thanks Jules. the color in the bottom pic is too saturated. in reality it is even softer. the blue and green fields of color were knocked down with a lot of grey, and i used a dry house paint brush to feather it way out and soften any edges. it's pretty muted. whole thing is five feet by just under two feet tall. lot of texture in it. was nerve-wracking but always fun.

would be even softer in wool. i could see that.
    those little white 'tufts' at the bottom are about two inches wide, very thick paint, and it cracked and split as it dried, opening up, with color behind it. kind of a nail biter hoping it would happen, and waiting twelve hours to see if it would.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    I have been playing with painting on the wool with very thick dye pastes and then the acid soak and wash ... never know how things are going to come out but always so pretty... love playing in my dye pots.. Neil and dad just got the water hooked up here at the new shop and I have not dyed anything here yet. we were on town water at the other studio so I will have to start from scratch and do all new swatches for my base set of colors to see what the water here is going to do with the dyes. Rug Hooking magazine did an interesting test a few years back and they sent a piece of white wool and a dye sample of dye to 50 diff hookers all over the country. all the same bolt of wool and dye all out of the same jar. they even sent the citric acid to set the colors. the only veritable was their water source. 50 diff colors of wool came back. most were close but you could tell the difference!!
  • stike
    Options
    sounds very cool.
    you are making a living doing something you love, too. can't beat that
  • Mainegg
    Options
    the true secret to happiness :)everything else falls into place.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Love the painting Stike, very nice.
    My mother was an artist and art teacher, I enjoyed your conversation w/ Julie and actually understood part of it :) :laugh: I have zero talent :P
  • stike
    Options
    thanks Capt.Frank. it's all really subjective, and I'm not supposed to care what people think, but i'll admit i am happy when someone likes the work. :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    quick snap of the bresaola at day 7. firmer, darker. lost about 2 oz of water.
    i re-rubbed with a bag of magic dust (upper left), and back into the lager for a week before the rinse and hang-to-dry

progress.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the results!! Great painting too!
  • stike
    Options
    not sure what i'll do with 5 pounds of bresaola :huh:

i'll keep you posted