Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

really getting into this

Options
DanB
DanB Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Second post. You can look for my first if you want, but it's just a recipe. :-)

Got a large BGE 3-1/2 weeks ago to replace a corroding 15 yr old Kingsford charcoal grill after some discussion with my wife who didn't think the Egg was worth the price. The first cook was just a hodgepodge of what we had in the fridge, but it was enough to convince her.

Since then we've made maybe 20 more meals on it, including a couple variations on the jalapolenta thing from here a couple weeks ago, one with grits and one with cornmeal and chopped onion. Got some monster Super Skewers a couple days ago to try Tandoori chicken, and an AR is scheduled to show up tomorrow too. Going to be a tasty weekend.

- dan

Comments

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Dan, what a great success story! You'll be an inspiration to all those who are on their first days of Egging and are feeling a little timid. We'll be waiting for those photos!
    Judy in San Diego
  • DanB
    Options
    As soon as I can figure out how to post a photo from the iPhone that took it, I'll post a few. Yeah, I know I can mail it to myself and post from another computer, but that's not as spontaneous, is it?

Dinner last night was tuna steak coated with thyme and blackened on a CI griddle down in the new spider that showed up yesterday, along with baked potatoes and cornbread. The cornbread was our first attempt in a CI skillet. A bit dry, but tasty.

- dan
  • DanB
    Options
    Breakfast today was bisquick biscuits with cinnamon added, and an egg scramble with sauteed onions, tomato chunks, mango chunks, and some low-fat shredded cheddar, with black pepper and oregano. All on the CI griddle. Next time I'll use a skillet for the scramble; it's too easy to lose stuff over the edge on the griddle.

Temp seemed a bit too high at close to 500 for both the biscuits and the eggs, everything cooked too fast on the outside and too slow on the inside. Maybe 400 next time.

- dan