Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trader Joe\'s Lump, Anyone

Smoking Coles
Smoking Coles Posts: 230
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I was in Trader Joe's today and noticed they have their own brand of Lump now. $6.99 for 18lbs. The bag is about the size of most 8lb bags, but you can tell this lump is very dense and heavy. Does anyone have any experience using TJ's own brand. I read on another forum that it is being made for TJ's by the Original Charcoal Company. I saw TNW's review of the OCC lump, but was curious if anyone has used this brand and what there opinion of it is. Thanks. Picture of the bag and a comparison picture beside a 22lb bag of Wicked Good. Thanks for any input.

TraderJoessLump.jpg

TradervsWicked.jpg

Comments

• BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    I am wondering if this really is true lump. The bag says hardwood briquettes which makes me believe they are compressed pieces which would account for the smaller bag for similar weight. Also is probably the reason the price is lower than normal as well. I may be wrong but just a guess.
  • Smoking Coles
    Smoking Coles Posts: 230
    Ha, one would think that if I took the time to take picture and post this that somewhere along the line I would have noticed the Big Word "Briquettes" across the front. I opened the bag, and bingo, sure enought it is. I just saw all 100% all natural hardwood and assumed it was lump. Oh well!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    TJ's had carried "Cowboy" lump in years past. There is the similarity in label design, etc.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    You can still use it. I would avoid it on low and slo cooks because of the ash production. For burgers, steaks or grilling chicken, go ahead and use it. No harm no foul (at last that is a saying I learned form Little Steven)
  • CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    Don't throw it away. I made the same mistake a few years back. As stated you can use it for faster cooks when you are "grilling" rather than smoking. I used my bag up on steaks and burgers even chicken quarters that only take a couple hrs. You will need to clean the ash out after every use because it is significant compared to real lump but you can certainly get use from it.