Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Man among Men

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in Off Topic
The other day I sat down to watch some TV, and was reminded of the Pink Floyd Lyric "13 channels of sh!t on the TV to choose from", except now it is about 500channels of "it". So, I ended up on PBS, go figure!!!!
Almost immediately I became enthralled by a documentary that was made decades before they were cool, the story of **** Pronneke, who at the age of 51 moved to the Alaska wildeness to spend a year alone with nature. He ended up staying 35years.

This youtube vid shows a portion of it, including some of how he built his cabin alone without the use of power tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Other things that stood out to me that aren't shown in the youtube vid: He once shot a bighorn sheep, then smoked the meat over a fire with a smokebox crafted from the sheeps own skin. How he made a refrigerator of sorts by diggin a hole, placing a wooden box in it, then covering with thick moss. It never got above 45deg in there in the summers and stayed above freezing in the winters. How one day in the first year when he was building the cabin.....he cut, skinned, and dragged 19logs to the cabin site all before lunch.

More info here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

In our electronic age, this is a refreshing look at an alternate reality.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm going to have to search for this tonight on PBS.
    What an adventure.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That dude was awesome!! I have watched "Alone in the Wilderness" several times on PBS. The guy had balls!! And skills!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just found this. Only watched a couple of minutes so far, but here's an hour's worth...

http://stagevu.com/video/hszktzprygzx

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut