Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day Weekend-what cha cookin?

mysterygaltx
mysterygaltx Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With the holiday weekend coming up,thought I would ask what everyone plans on eggin. I know I will be egging some sausage and some cowboy burgers. Maybe some ears of corn. I am also going to try some tomotoes with mozzarella sprinkled with basil and olive oil.And of course a cobbler. What is everyone else got planned?

Comments

• SomedayMommy
    SomedayMommy Posts: 199
    Ribs! With corn on the cobb.
  • ribs sounds really good! I have not egged ribs yet. Plan on trying that soon. I'm gettin hungry!
  • tbk420
    tbk420 Posts: 70
    Pork shoulder, wings, and ABT's :)
  • Prime
    Prime Posts: 52
    I'll be taking my first crack at wings.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Not sure yet. We have mostly rain forcast (surprise surprise) and it's really no fun standing around in the rain. But maybe ribs and corn. Or maybe just some quickie burgers.
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Ribs, burgers, dogs, maybe a butt or two. Would also like to try ABT's for the first time. Good thing it's a three day weekend!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    We are having a cook off at our church and here is my menu.
    Start off with stuff dip chips with hamburger taco season top with cheese and sour cream.
    My main course is big Stuff portabella mushroon with sides of butternut sqaush and aspargus.
    top it off with Spring Hen pineapple upside down cake.
    yum yum
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    We'll be down at the ranch, so lots of cooking. :) But no egg. :angry: Wish there was room to take the egg, but the car is packed to the brim.

I'll be doing a brisket on my old offset one day. And probably burgers, steaks, sausages, chicken and others things over live fire mesquite the rest of the time. Here's my set up.

P1010825.jpg

Will also be bringing down 2 boxes of pigeons and a ton of shells for some practice shooting. Throw in some beer and we gots a party! :woohoo:

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• That set up dont look so bad.
    Did you say beer and guns? yep, sounds like a Texas party for sure. LOL
  • freedonia
    freedonia Posts: 37
    On my brand spanking new egg, I have a full weekend of cooking planned:

Friday - pizza
    Saturday - no cooking (taking my wife to dinner for our anniversary)
    Sunday - beer can chicken, veggies (onions, peppers, potatoes)
    Monday - baby back ribs, corn on the cob

Hopefully, my first experiences on the egg will be successful. I spent today firing it up and trying to control temperatures. I found it goes up to 600 degrees very fast. Much, much slower to get it down to 250 degrees. Maybe I need more practice.
  • Griffin-That set up looks pretty good.
    Beer and shooting? You gotta be a Texan! LOL

Portabela mushrooms sounds sooo good.
    Let me know how you do that butternut squash. post some pics for sure.

I think I might do some wings too. My bro says they're easy. I have done legs on the leg rack which is really easy to do.

Pineapple upside down cake is my fave!Any recipe from Spring Hen is hit for sure!
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Heading down to the inlaws beach house in Nags Head. They are installing the new LBGE as I type this. Yeah, I'm excited, hope to have some pics sent to me soon. They picked up an 11 lb picnic shoulder they want me to do on Saturday and tons of ribs. Throw in some ice cold Bud Light lime (my hot weather outdoor beach beer) and it should be epic!

Be safe and have a blast this weekend eggheads!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am planning ribs and wings on Saturday, then Sunday night I am going to put on about 24ish lbs of butt for a party on Monday. I might throw together some ABTs as well and perhaps some asparagus for good measure.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    We're doing a spatchcock chicken marinated in lime, cilantro, garlic and spices with smashed potatoes; turkey burgers, and maybe a hot dog or two. After last weekend we are kind of "cooked out" for a while. Came home after Athens and made a big pot of gumbo out of the leftover bourbon chicken - came out great but we are still eating it. No more room in the fridge.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Cooking up a couple of 10lb butts for a BBQ we are going to Sunday. Probably doing some ribs for the first time on Monday for the family!!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Walrus, that sounds like a very fun and tasty weekend.

Gwen, jealous in Seattle
  • Dimple's Mom
    It is hard to get it back down. Trick is not to let it go over in the first place.

I keep my egg pretty cleaned out of ashes (clean it before every cook)and it gets up to temp very quickly. I have to watch it closely at the beginning.

Sounds like you're planning to have a lot of fun with your new 'toy.' You got it on a great weekend!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    How long do you marinate the chicken ?
    Sounds good to try.

Thank you.
  • freedonia
    freedonia Posts: 37
    Thanks. I thought if I starved it of oxygen it would come down pretty fast. I'm glad I experimented with it before I started cooking. :laugh: It was still warm, around 200 degrees, for a long time after I shut it off completely.

I'll take your advice and watch it carefully before it gets too hot.
  • Smoking Coles
    Smoking Coles Posts: 230
    We are headed to the lake for the weekend and I will be doing a 10 lb Rib Roast for Saturday dinner and will throw on two 8lb butts Saturday night for Pulled Pork BBQ lunch on Sunday to go with the Low Country Boil. Might squeez in some Fatties and Bisquits for Sunday Breakfast if the butts are done in time. Hopefully some ABT's are on the menu as well. Should be a fun and fattening weekend. Hope you all have a great one.
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Family and friends will be here for Ribs, burgers, sausage dogs and all the trimmings
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Son's best friend's family is from France. Fantastically nice people who have never been to a true Memorial Day BBQ - so they're coming over for Pulled Pork, Sausage, German style (warm) potato salad, slaw, jalapeño cornbread, beans.....you know, everything that is right and fattening! :woohoo:
  • SeaBassHWD
    SeaBassHWD Posts: 44
    I'll be grilling up some marinated BBQ pork skewers using pork butt. One 10lb butt sure makes a whole lot of skewers. Can't wait!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I'd like to smoke up some spare ribs. Beer brats would be nice. Fish tomorrow! And I'm hungry for something lamb....thinking lamb stir-fry for somthing different.
    Have a great weekend.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    2 hours to overnight, whichever is convenient.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • tpc1
    tpc1 Posts: 54
    Prime rib, i have a local butcher set a piece aside from a local farm and grilled artichokes.
  • tpc1
    Prime rib, i have a local butcher set a piece aside from a local farm and grilled artichokes.
  • tpc1
  • Grilled artichokes sounds interesting. I want that recipe!
  • CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    Friday: Shrimp garnished with mango lime salsa & sliced avocado
    Saturday: Wings with grilled corn
    Sunday: Dry rubbed ribs with egged macaroni
    Monday: Burgers, dogs, abt's, stuffed fatties with peach cobbler