Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tough chops

Options
Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 382
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is it that makes pork tough some times,is it the quality, or the way its prepared.
Cooked these tonight, they were good and juicy as usual, but just a little tough. Pulled off at 138 internal.
DSC_5320-Edit.jpg
DSC_5324-Edit.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Sometimes it is just the meat.There is no grading system for pork like there is for beef.Luck of the draw is my guess.
  • Bear 007
    Options
    That's kinda what I figured, Its sorta hit or miss.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    well they sure looked good! any sun up your way yet? fogged in heavy here :(
  • Bear 007
    Options
    It was raining early in the day but it turned out real nice. :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Tim: You cooked them perfectly for sure! They look great! Had they been frozen? I never have the same texture/tenderness after freezing pork, but that's JMO. And sometimes, you just get a tough one! (Acutally I think they are breeding pork toooo lean these days) I have noticed more tough pork than tender, and I have resorted to using my Jaccard on lean chops and roasts. You didn't do a thing wrong. They look perfect!
  • Bear 007
    Options
    Thanks, No I just picked up the roast tonight, cut it into chops and put them on.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tim,

Hold on a sec whilst Little Stephan climbs up on his little bitty soap box. All pork 275* max and you will never be dissapointed. Still haven't done tenderloin that way but how bad could it be. Can somebody help me down from this thing now please? B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :laugh: Good point.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Michelle,
    Please talk more about the Jaccard! Googled it and recall seeing it recently in a locked case at a small restaurant supply store.
    My other half believes the cutting of the meat fiber will result in major moisture loss.
    What do you see as the pros and cons of this device?
    Thanks B)
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmmm
    pork chooooooopsss
    goooooooooooooood
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    DOW: Didn't see your question sooner! Down side of a Jaccard, none (well, it smooshes the meat, but you squish it back together to it's original thickness and shape). Moisture loss, none. Improvement in tenderness, superb. I use it now on all steaks & chops. You are literally making hundreds of tiny cuts through the fibers that make the meat tough. The little holes seal right up as soon as the heat is applied. Truly, I love it!
    They are priced according to the number of blades. I have this 45 blade one, and it can be disassembled for cleaning.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-45-Knife-Meat-Tenderizer/dp/B000A3I3G0

Truly worth every penny IMO. Do you ever go to those steakhouses that have the display case of steaks at the entrance? If you look really reallly close, you are likely to see the tiny little piercings from a Jaccard (or Jaccard like piece of equipment). You will not lose your juices if you do it prior to cooking. Honest. Now poking the patooty out of the meat after the cook would be another issue.
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    Most likely it's a luck of the draw deal. I think you can sometimes feel them while in the butcher/store and see differences in firmness. I think freezing them can make them tougher too.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    They've leaned out the pork so much these days, it compares to skinless chicken breasts. I've learned to look for marbling in pork, the same way I do beef.

Skinny pigs. Who would've thought...
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)