Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How To Set Up A Small For A Low & Slow

Options
JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Taking the small egg camping first week of April. All I've ever used if for was direct cooking steaks, chops, chickens, etc. Well, I want to hook up the Guru to it and do a pork shoulder or two and wow the other campers. Since there is no platesetter for the small, how do I do this? Should I just wire up a foil drip pan underneath the grid and put the butt on the grid?[p]I'm building a transporter like WessB has on his website to carry the egg with. Wess, that was a great idea! I think I'm going to point mine bright yellow to help show off the egg![p]Any ideas on setup for the low & slow with a small would certainly be appreciated.[p]Tnx,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    I build an indirect setup by using flat rocks arranged over the grill with a second grill over the rocks. Just make sure there are spaces around the rocks for airflow.
    Dave

• JimboBQ,[p]It may be too late for this weekend, but I've got a deep dish pizza stone and an extra grid from BGE that I use. Setup regular grid on bottom, then the pizza stone, then the other grid. The pizza stone is something like 2 inches deep and acts as both a heat barrier and a drip pan. I line it with foil for easy cleanup.[p]Oh yeah..my momma has a giant cranium and boobs to match..oh yea..and I suspect she shaves all of them.[p]TUS

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    JimboBQ,
    I take NO credit for that transporter..it was "Grillmeister`s" idea, I just shared the dimensions and some pics....if you look on my tips page you can see several set-ups for the small egg..HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TheUnStump,
    WOW, that the most cogent thing i've ever seen you write. . .i could actually understand all of it. . ..[p]unstump indeed. . ..