Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who is composting?

Options
2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Heck. I have a glass bowl. No smell there either ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hahaha,

We all come out at night ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Found an ear of corn on my night table this morning :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    POO rocks!Worm or otherwise.As far as compost is concerned.Better be clear on this. :blink:
  • RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    I compost all vegetable matter and as well yard waste (leaves,ground up sticks, plant clippings, etc)...

I have a big pile in the back - some kind of squash or pumpkin is growing out of it now... I've gotten all sorts of good surprise plants over the years...
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    My lovely wife turned her nose up to my idea of making a bin of sorts with chicken wire. She'd have that same upturned nose with a 'pile' of yard junk. She has no problem with the ugly black box in the corner though. Go figure.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    I bought a similar box last year at Sam's Club. I use a short handled shovel to mix it every few weeks.

City boy I am I'm still figuring this thing out :huh:

Last summer I followed the directions in the box and layered leaves and some soil. Ended up with too much clay as that is what passes for dirt in my yard.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Definitely add in the ashes. You need to not have more ash than anything else but as long as you're putting in a lot of other stuff, the ashes are fine and even good for the compost pile.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    My Yankee card is just fine thank you very much!! the tumbler was a gift to my Nana from friends years ago cause she could not turn her pile easily :whistle: they were nto using it and thought it would be good for her. when she died I got dibs on it :) then it went to my folks and now I am going to haul it back up the hill!! so that is Hmmm like 5 time recycled?? :woohoo:
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    nice website - liked your photos

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I bought a similar one a few years ago and it still is in good shape. I found the best way to stir the composted up was to use a post hole digger. Trying to use shovel small handle or not I found was a real pain in the a**. I will say that my veggie garden loves the compost. Good luck.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • stike
    Options
    Funny. All the posts on here involving grown men being told by their wife what to do. Is it done. Is it safe. No you can't pile waste four feet high and allow it to decompose in a corner of the yard :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    I stand corrected!
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Molly,
    No meat,fish , no pet waste.
    rinsed Eggshells,any veggie scraps,coffee grounds,banana peels are good, egg cartons, soaked in water with out the shiny paper.NO ASH FROM YOUR EGG! ,It would be okay back east but not in Colorado. Turn often and keep damp.
    Layer brown ( dead leaves, plants) with green( veggies plant trimmings) for best results.
    Here's a good link.
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/07212.html
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Molly

We have been composting for years, nothing fancy just two piles in wire fencing. Leaves, weeds, old garden stuff, household scraps, coffee grounds. shredded paper etc. We occasionally ad a few buckets of fresh cow manure when we can get it. We don't collect grass clippings just let them compost on the lawn. I occasionally turn it or drive a large crowbar deeply into it. Have had no problems with animals.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    You pick your battles Jeff :whistle:
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I have the opposite problem: beaucoup live oak & water oak leaves make it into the pile. I am way over on the brown and need more green. To combat this, I toss in the occasional handful of fertilizer to get the brown stuff cooking.

RE: turning the pile....my pile is against the corner of chain-link fencing, about 8 feet long and 4 feet deep, piled at least 40 inches high. Too huge to turn by hand, so I run my little Honda 4-stroke tiller through it a couple times a year. Works like a charm...here's the tiller, a real gem: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2TL&category=mtc
    It weighs just 20 lbs, starts on a single pull, and has edging & double digging attachments.
  • stike
    Options
    i wouldn't call my being allowed to pile refuse as 'winning', exaclty. was just goofin on ya.
    :laugh:
  • FL XL Egger
    FL XL Egger Posts: 50
    Options
    Composting with an old and new pile. Add the normal compostables every few weeks by putting it in the tractor loader bucket, add to pile spread out and water than pile it back up. We use the old pile for growing new compostables. Works very well for us.

web.jpg?ver=13063341280001

Old and new pile.

web.jpg?ver=13063341350001

New compostables growing.

Thanks for looking.
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    isn't your middle name goof????? :woohoo:
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Nice heap! I just got my boxes planted this week. Yours are looking good. I am trying to go organic this year.
  • Toaster_Head
    Options
    Everything but meat & bones go in!! Presenting my old school 3-bin compost device. It's made from pallets and a bit of chicken wire. I lean an extra pallet on the front of the active bin to keep that damn weener-beagle of mine from foraging.

shot_1286747065837.jpg

After a few years, this whole unit will return to the earth.
    T_H
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    If you live near a Starbucks, you can get all of the "green" you want for your pile. It is their corporate policy to give away the coffee grounds for people who want it for compost. I get a 30-40 pound bag every time I ask for it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Hmm, coffee grounds count as green? That's good to know. I figured grounds were as low-nitrogen as brown leaves.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks Jon.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE