Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

firebricks affect on smoke flavor

Options
Desert Egg
Desert Egg Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been playing with the position of of my firebricks and pizza stone for indirect cooking(ribs) lately. If I place a pizza stone on a grate between the firebox and fire ring instead of the main grill, and raising the cooking surface(as most on the forum seem to do) the food tends to have a lot more smoke flavor. I'm not sure why this is, so I thought I'd ask you folks if you had any ideas. My guess is with the stone just above the coals it might be smothering it some.[p]I have a large egg, and cook with the dome temp around 275-300. I've tried at 220-230, but the ribs had way to much smoke flavor for my taste. I also start a small fire and let it get up to temp slowly. Usually I give it 30-45 minutes to settle at the temp I'm shooting for. I also use hickory chunks soaked before hand.[p]Thanks,
Brad

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    DesertEgg, I really cannot figure why it would but you low slow start up is one possible answer. That is usually the way most will want to improve or increase the amount of smoke absorbed in the meat..cool meat, low temp and smoke tend to create a deeper smoke ring. Also the amount of chips or chunks you use. I find little difference in wet or dry chunks..as the chunks will tend to char and smoke even when dry in the cooker..Stands to reason a wet wood would give off more smoke tho. Some even use it green with good results so I am not sure the 5 to 6 month curing is even necessary. Another field to probe and really doesn't answer your question.. I have used a small griil top and placed firebricks directly on the charcoal for a experiment. Worked fine for low and slow. Not recommended for the new beginners tho.
    Your doing good and experimenting is one of the fun things to do. Your on the right track..
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DesertEgg,
    Are you using a drip pan?? If your drippings sit and burn (whether on a stone, brick, or dry drip pan) it will create a lot of smoke. Grease smoke, which can be very strong. If you use a drip pan, either use liquid, or use spacers to raise slightly off stone to prevent the drippings from burning.[p]Is it your drippings causing the smoke??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Desert Egg
    Desert Egg Posts: 12
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    It could be the drippings. I've noticed that when I pull the drip pan out it has a very strong smell. It doesn't seem to be burning the drippings though. I do raise the drip pan up a little with some 1/2" x 1/2" ceramic spacers, but I haven't used any liquid in it. I'll give that a try and see if it has any affect.[p] Thanks,
    Brad