Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Marinade Teriyaki Flankers

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I made it out of Sam's Club last Friday with 3.42 pounds of flank steak that had been marked down. I decided this time to try a teriyaki marinade.

For my marinade I combined . . .
1 1/2 C Teriyaki Sauce
8 T Dark Brown Sugar
4 T Cider Vinegar
2 T Granulated Garlic
1/2 T Tabasco Chipotle sauce

. . . and nuked for a minute to work the flavors a little. Some of my ingredients were cold from the frig and needed a little warming up. I let these marinate from 9:00AM Saturday morning till 8:00PM tonight (Tuesday)!

I cut the flanks into easy to manage sections before marinating and pierced many times with a sharp cooking fork to let the marinade soak in well. The steaks were cut depending more on thickness than anything else so they would cook more evenly. The egg was full of lump so I raised the grate and brought it up to 500º.

On the egg for about 1 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes per side.
DSCN8118A_640.jpg

Off the egg and resting for a couple . . .
DSCN8122A_640.jpg

Sliced and ready to eat . . .
DSCN8133A_640.jpg

A great cook. Great teriyaki flavor. The brown sugar gives a nice sweetness and helps off set the saltness of the teriyaki. The Tabasco was not enough to notice, as usual I was playing it safe with the heat. The char from the hot egg was perfection and there is no doubting that these were grilled over real lump charcoal. :P

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I was aiming for an internal temp of 120º. ;)

Have a great week All,

Blair

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks great Blake, just curious, at 120* is it still chewy?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Gator Bait

No, not in the least. At 120º it is rare to medium rare and as tender as any other steak I have been getting. Over cooking will turn them into shoe leather quicker than anything else.

Blair . . . I answer to Blake too. :laugh:

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Sorry, multi-tasking putting the kid the bed and being on the forum, :whistle: :ermm: ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    NICE,I got one thawing in the fridge now.I have a bunch of lemons and oranges about to rot so I'm gonna go that route. ;)
  • Gator Bait

No problem. I have been called a lot of things. :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Hoss, I have been going that route lately and thought it would be nice to do an old stand by Teriyaki based marinade for a change. :)

Blair

• Hoss
    I think I'll add a bottle of TerriYaki to the rotten lemons and oranges! ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Beautiful!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait

Sounds good Hoss, teriyaki has a LOT of salt and I was looking for ways to cut it.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks my friend. :)

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Good shot of beef there. ;) Nicely done Blair. :)
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Tim, these have a lot of great flavor to them. :)

Blair

• Hoss
  • Nice cook, Blair!
    Got a pack of those flank steaks at Sam's last week and was sure surprised at the size of the two in the pack, but they weren't near 8 pounders :P :P
    I think those longer marinades on tougher cuts work well, but Stike may have evidence to the contrary :whistle:
    Your marinade sounds real tasty! A little dark beer added would also add to the tenderizing ;)
    So, do you always cook a big mess-o-meat and eat on it all week, or do you pass some around to the neighbors you've tormented during the cook? :woohoo:
    Like with JL and the Auron shots, we've come to eggspect a few bird pics with every post from you, so let's see some B)
    Have a great Week!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Great looking cook. I like to use the juice of 2 limes and 1/4 cup cilantro chopped in my fajita marinade.
  • Gator Bait

Hi DOW and thanks. I was thinking of stike when I marinated these. I figured if he could dry age for 65 days that I could do a nice long marinate. Where my marinade had so much salt and vinegar I figured it was safe and I would get some gooood flavor.

Yes, I often do cook up a big mess of meat and will probably freeze some. It is the economics of getting it at a good price that motivates me. My neighbors have all left for the summer and it is nice and quiet around here again. I moved here in February of 1984 and this part of town was considered the sticks. I miss the good ol' days of the wide open spaces and all the wildlife that used to wander through my yard.

I have slowed down on the photography, my camera and my legs could both use some repair work. The heat and humidity are also poor motivators to get out and run around with heavy camera gear. I hope someday to get back into it.

You have a great week also and at least try to behave yourself this weekend! :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Richard, I have been thinking limes in a marinade for some time now and almost ran out to get some but the cost of gas these days prompted me to stick with what was on hand. I tried to keep it fairly simple yet wanted enough ingredients to help cut some of the salt in the teriyaki sauce. For a long marinade I was thinking the salt might be all you could taste if you were not careful. I bet your fajita's are awesome!

Blair

• :laugh:
    This weekend is for Thelma and Louise!
    No better way to MISbehave :evil:
  • Blair, I haven't talked to you in awhile, just wanted to say hi! I love teriyaki marinade. Your meat pile looks ready to be dived into!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gator Bait

Hi Faith, Thanks, the teriyaki was a good call, small wonder it is an old stand by. It has been a while since we talked, it is very quiet down here in our park. Most everybody bailed out of here with the early hot weather. It's so nice to hear the birds singing instead of my neighbors on their cell phones looking for a good signal. :lol:

I hope you are well my friend,

Blair

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Looks great Blair! so how did you serve it?
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Julie, I'm afraid my diabetes prevents me from serving it may ways that would be great. Fajitas or taco style would be great. Over noodles with some gravy would be good. Unfortunately I have to avoid all starches and carbohydrates and it is easier just to enjoy it straight up, Tonight I had some bottled savory beef gravy that went on it with some more granulated garlic and it was very good! . . . not fancy but very tasty. The long marinade gave it great flavor. :)

Blair

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Blair,

Nice cook man. If you ever get a chance to pick up a bottle of Kecap Manis it would fit right in there. Indonesian sweet soy sauce, very thick.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait

Thanks Steven, Kecap Manis? That's a new one for me. I will have to look for it. It sounds very interesting. :cheer:

Blair