Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg owner! Dumb question??

Options
smokintommie
smokintommie Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oh my gosh I love my new Egg, and I'm obsessed with this forum now! Thanks to everyone for so much great info! Especially for a propane gas grill convert! I've never so much as even used a charcoal grill, so this is a huge learning experience for me! So far I've grilled hamburgers and chicken breasts (tried the easy ones first).

Couple questions:
1). How do you get a raised grid with direct heat? I have a plate setter, but that obviously gives you indirect heat. Is there an accessory to raise it?

2).I stored my daisy wheel topper thing in the egg when not in use (only a couple days), and it got moisture on it and started to rust. Do ya'll leave it on top, or use the ceramic topper like I did and store the daisy in the egg? If so, how do you avoid the moisture? I didn't think leaving the bottom vent open was smart, as I didn't want rain to get in.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/

The above link will show you all the extenders ans other good stuff for your egg.

Just keep putting the daisy wheel inside, after a few cooks it will no longer rust, it will be coated..

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Here is an easy way to build a raised grid with an accessory grid and some u-bolts
    4691016749_8c7d9aba4c.jpg
    P6110017 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

There are many other ways to do it. Some use fire bricks placed on the fire ring to support the grid.
    BGE markets a three tier rotating system that works well, especially for wings and ABT's
    Definetly check out www.ceramicgrillstore.com. The owner[Tom] is one of us and he manufactures and sells some of the best accessory equipment you will find anywhere. :)
    Welcome Aboard!! :cheer:
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Yes, there are accessories to raise it. BGE sells one as does the Creamic Grill Store. A quick way would be to buy yourself a few firebrick, set them around your firering and then your cooking grid on top of them.
    Yes, the daisey will rust, no biggie. After a while it will become impregnated with grease, kinda like seasoning cast iron, and tht should stop that problem. Many put it in their egg after use to burn off that grease and do not worry about the rust. A few have bought black high temp paint to stop it also.
    Hope this helps, good eggin to ya and come back frequently and ask all you need.
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Storing the top in the egg is a good thing

If the rust is bothering you, spray it with Pam

Good luck Eggin
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    1). Direct extreme raised grid. Adjustable Rig + BGE raised grid

chicken1.jpg

2). I always store the DFMT inside the egg and at times it does get rusty. Use some cooking oil to coat the Cast Iron and that will do the trick.

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    BTW - there are no dumb questions

Well maybe - the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked :)

Sounds like you are enjoying the ride

Good luck with it
  • smokintommie
    Options
    Wow! I'm amazed at the quality and promptness of the responses on here! Thanks to everyone so far. I will look into the ceramic grill store!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tommie, I presume.

Welcome. You can raise a grid a lot of differen ways, carriage bolts with washers and nuts or three bricks sitting on end on the firering. Split firebricks work well if you can get them.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You can use most anything to raise the grid. I had some scrap square tubing laying around so I cut it up like this. Three of these work well.

4056055785_7421cd60d0_b.jpg

You can also use bricks or carriage or u-bolts as mentioned.

My DFMT gets stored inside the egg - when I remember to do that. As often as not, I forget about it and leave it on the patio. In the rain. Almost two years now and very little rust. Don't much care since I rarely use it anyway (only with lo n slo cooks). Not sure why so many seem to have such a rust problem. My cast iron grid has no rust at all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    Options
    I just use three empty soup cans. It cuts down on a bit of grill space, but it's cheap and will do until I feel like plunking down cash for the better stuff.
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    The adjustable rig combo at the ceramic grill store is real hard to beat. Welcome and good luck.