Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breast of Veal ala BGE

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
first, this photo is proof that i am simultaneously the best DAD in the world, and the worst parent.

my son's dinner saturday night. :unsure:
00_MOINKS-for-H.jpg

sunday we tried a stuffed breast of veal. this thing was less than 3 bucks a pound. about 8+ dollars for four adult servings, easily. Nice cook. i will do this again.

please excuse the pic quality, as these are from an iPhone

fixings for the stuffing

01_stuffing-Ingredients.jpg

9 or 10 ounces of washed baby spinach, black olives, half an onion, some cheapo premade (storebought!) mini-meatballs (left over from a run of moink balls for thursday and saturday cooks), and the ends off of one of my pancettas from april.

the veal breast actually came with a pocket already cut, but i had to extend it greatly, as it was kind of a 'ho-hum' attempt by the butcher. work a filet knife in there and really open it up, take it within maybe a half inch of the edges

02_veal-breast-pocket.jpg

over a fire (about 400 dome) on a raised grid, with grape vine and a small amount of hickory, until you get some nice color

03_searing-for-color.jpg

while thats' on, toss the pancetta in with the diced meatballs, then add onion, then chopped olives, then finally the spinach, til wilted

04_cooked-stuffing.jpg

let the meat rest while the stuffing cools a bit

04a_pause-to-refresh.jpg

(the real test of a brewery is their pils. nothing to hide behind)

then stuff it good, packing it in there quite firmly. sew it shut or pin with skewers. I threaded butcher's twine, but it can pull out. go around a rib if you can. (it looked frankly like i had made my own homemade baseball glove). put it to braise in a small roasting pan, with a few carrots, couple stalks of celery, quartered onion, thyme, pepper

05_tied-and-ready-to-go.jpg

add wine (i used red, since we had no cheap-o white on hand), cover, and let it simmer in a 350-400 degree egg for two hours.

06_simmering.jpg

(the red wine dyes everything s little purple-brown. would be fancier-schmancier with white wine)

pull and let rest about 15 minutes.
07_resting.jpg

and (sad photo, here, sorry). slice between the ribs. you could slide the ribs out if you really wanted and then slice however thick you wanted.

08_sliced.jpg

serve with a nice bottle of wine that your friends who know wine gave to you the last time they visited, but don't tell anyone it was a gift, thereby making it look like you know all about wine when you really don't

09_served.jpg
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments