Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holiday Weekend Showcase?

Smoking Coles
Smoking Coles Posts: 230
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I have been singing the praises of my eggs to family and friends for 3 years now. Most have had something off of the egg that I have cooked and enjoyed it. With that being said, I purchased a used large off of Craigslist and refurbished it for my brother. He has only used it once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in about two months now. He's the type that doesn't have much patience to learn something new.

My family and several friends are all going to the lake for the holiday weekend and he is bringing the large to live up there for the summer. There will probably be between 20 and 25 people coming and going all weekend. Now to my question:

I am hoping to do several cooks on the egg to showcase to my brother and family just how amazing these cookers are. I will probably throw a few butts on for an overnight cook for a BBQ Lunch one day. What would other suggestions be to kind of "showcase" the egg?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Crown Roast of pork is our go to meal for holidays and not a lot of work.

http://yourmeattooth.com/2010/12/and-the-winning-recipe-is-stuffed-crown-pork-roast/
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    A bunch of wings and ABT's, can't go wrong there and you can keep putting more on as the finished ones come off :)
    Cook up some fatties for breakfast and bake some biscuits on the egg [the frozen Pilsbury kind work great]! :ohmy: :cheer:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    If you want to really knock their socks off I would recommend steaks - my favorite is tenderloin. We buy them whole and trim to our preference - we always save a nice piece for a roast, which we slice thinly and have slider type sandwiches with horseradish sauce. If you have a lot of time, ABT's are always a hit - however the ABT dip is good for a crowd. Whatever you do, I'm sure everyone will be thankful (and impressed). And your brother will be hooked! :)
  • Smoking Coles
    Great suggestion Frank. That way they get the sausage and biscuits for breakfast and also get to see that you can bake on it. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Smoking Coles
    Thanks for the reply Richard. I did do a pork rib roast on it for Christmas that everyone loved. I didn't do the "crown", but the pork came out juicy, moist and flavorful. Thanks for the input.
  • Smoking Coles
    Thanks for the reply Elizabeth. I'm not sure Steaks will be in the budget, but I agree they are fantastic off of the egg. ABT's would also be great, but I have two girls age 5 and 3 that will want to be on the boat and in the water the whole time, so time might be short to do the prep on the ABT's. I may try to do a batch though, as they are fantastic as well.