Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foiling, searing, & injecting briskets

Options
Greenman72
Greenman72 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Q1 - Should I sear my brisket first?

Q2 - Should I foil my brisket?

Q3 - Should I inject my brisket?

In the past, I tried to sear a brisket on the Egg--it didn't work so well. However, I do have a Weber Spirit that I can sear it on. So should I sear it, or just let the egg do its thing?

In the past, I have always foiled my briskets. But it seems like it's hard to get the smokey flavor when you foil them. So should I foil it, or just leave in on the rack? If I foil it, should I do it before I put it in the egg, or wait a couple of hours?

I have never injected a brisket. Any suggestions? Any easy recipes for an injection?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    1 - I've tried it but was not thrilled with the results

2 - If you are using a trimmed or small flat then yes, otherwise no. If you choose to foil do so after they hit about 165&deg and add a couple tablespoons of liquid, seal tightly and let it finish.

3 - I like to inject mine with a mixture of warm melted butter, beef bouillon paste, and pepper
  • Greenman72
    Options
    I plan on using a packer trimmed brisket, so it's not exactly the "trimmed flat" that you're probably thinking of. Does that change things?
  • Fidel
    Options
    As long as it is a whole brisket and has a decent fat cap then the foil step is entirely optional. It will be more moist and tender if you foil it in most cases, but I personally prefer them a little tighter with a better bark. It's really a personal preference thing.
  • Greenman72
    Options
    What mixture do you use with the beef broth/butter? Is it a 1 to 1 mix?
  • Fidel
    Options
    Honestly, I don't measure a lot of stuff. It's just "some". Taste it. If you like it, then use it. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Ask anyone that watched me make etouffee this weekend, I just kinda dump stuff in until it looks and tastes right.